Title: Re: [Assam] Micro Credit ( a true story)--cow-mutilation i

Umesh:

For a change, you hit the nail right on the head. And this time I mean it too :-).

While I would not cast aspersions on the veracity of Mohan's bro-in-law's account, the fact of a whole village, or a number of 'them villagers' cutting off the tips of their cows' ears  and taking them to the loan collector's office to prove that they were dead, and thus they are not responsible for paying on their debt, could mean only the following:

A: That these awful villagers are not Hindus. Must be you-know-what's? For a Hindu, even a rotten Hindu, would never cut the 'ear lobes' off a cow and take them to the loan collector to prove that their cows, given as micro-credit, were dead ( a bad loan that is).

How can I say that?

As a dyed-in-the paan-juice kharkhowa villager, I can testify, that even the most god-forsaken amongst us would never, ever, resort to doing such a horrible thing as cutting off the 'ear-lobes' ( sic) of their cows or their calves, to prove to the govt. loan officer, that their cow, given to them by their benevolent sorkar in lieu of cash, as micro-credit, was defective and now dead, just so they won't have to pay back on their loan.

Only them horrible folks that EAT cows and/or don't hesitate to ,mutilate/dismember them could do that. Here. U,mesh, you hit the bull's eye.

I am however amazed that Bhuban Kokaideu, whose neighbors were 'gorias'( Assamese euphemism for Muslims) of Namti-Saarilai Goria Gaon( village); would buy that kind of a fairy-tale. But then again, may be I should not be!

cm