Birlas to set up heart institute in State
By Surajit Khaund
 GUWAHATI, Dec 3 – Leading heart institute in the Country, BM Birla Heart
Research Centre has come up with a proposal to set up a modern heart hospital
in the State with an investment of Rs 100 crore. “It will be a joint venture
project and we are now in talks with two private parties in the State to
materialize our plan,” Suyash Borar, chief operating officer (COO) of BM Birla
Heart Research Centre told this correspondent over telephone from Kolkata
today. Citing reasons for the new project, Borar said that Birla gets about 700
heart patients per year from Asom and its adjoining States for which the
company has decided to set up a 100-bed hospital here. “To materialize our
plan, it would require at least two years time to complete the formalities
including land acquisition and Government clearance ,” he said, adding that the
full-fledged hospital would cater to the needs of heart patients of the North
East.

Borar who is instrumental in pursuing the project in the State, informed that
Birla would set up five diagnostic centres with tele-medicines facilities in
five locations in the North East very soon. “The centres are aimed at providing
preliminary treatments to the patients”, he added.

BM Birla Heart Research Centre is a super specialty hospital dedicated
exclusively to the diagnosis, treatment and research related cardiovascular
diseases. It has tie-up with Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio USA. Since its
inception, 49,000 catheterization procedures and over 14,000 open-heart
surgeries have been performed.

Giving details about facilities provided by the hospital, Borar, said that the
institute has been providing world class treatment to the patients by the
modern machinery. “Our new hospital will be equipped with modern facilities
which are now available in Kolkata so that the patients in the region can avail
the best treatment,” he added. In this context, he informed that the new
hospital will have trained doctors provided by the Birla.