*ULFA ready for talks if Assam independence discussed*

Posted on : Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:45:01 GMT | Author : Indo Asian News Service
News Category : India (World)
<http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/cat/India,World.html>

* <http://www.earthtimes.org/rss.php?cat=India>*

*New* http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/25796.html

Guwahati, Jan 31 The outlawed United Liberation Front of Asom (ULFA)
Wednesday said it was ready for peace talks within 48 hours if New Delhi
committed in writing to discuss its demand of independence for Assam.

'If the government of India gives in writing that it would hold talks with
us on our core issue of sovereignty we will respond positively in 48 hours
time,' the ULFA said in a statement published in its fortnightly newsletter
Swadhinata (Freedom).

The ULFA, fighting for an independent homeland since 1979, is blamed by
authorities for a wave of bombings and shootouts in Assam beginning Jan 5
that left 90 people dead, 61 of them migrant workers from Bihar and Uttar
Pradesh.

'We want a political solution through negotiations. Despite the government
of India closing all doors for talks, our efforts are still on for a
negotiated settlement,' the rebel outfit said in the statement.

The central government had in September called off a six-week ceasefire and
resumed military operations against the ULFA blaming it of stepping up
violence and extortions.

Peace talks between ULFA representatives and the central government formally
broke down in October after the People's Consultative Group (PCG), a civil
society team appointed by the rebels to mediate for talks, pulled out of the
peace process blaming New Delhi for calling off the truce.

There were three rounds of talks between the ULFA-chosen PCG and the
government peace negotiators.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh during the first meeting with the PCG in
October last year said the government was ready to 'discuss all issues' with
the ULFA.

The ULFA wants the release of five of their jailed leaders as a precondition
to holding talks. New Delhi in return wants the rebel leadership to commit
in writing that they would come for direct negotiations if the jailed
militants were released.

The ULFA was not willing to commit that in writing, leading to the collapse
of the peace process.