C-da,

I was afraid you would point out the obvious - I did
not provide a rebuttal and willingly so.

Her "consistent" ideological inconsistency is where I
see the problem. Does it really need a rebuttal to
point out that she glorifies the Naxals and says they
are probably not an answer to her perception of
India's problems but she would support them anyway.
She rails against Salva Judum - brushes it off without
even giving it a wee bit of a sentence as to how it
came about. Incidentally, Salva Judum was a byproduct
of Naxalite violence not the other way round.

She paints a dark vision of India's greed - yet we do
not need a historian (or an economist) to point out
that greed is what drove nations to level the playing
field for the largest sections of society wherever it
has been possible to do so in known history. She does
not want India to be greedy but yet rails against
endemic poverty in India. She evidently does not even
believe in the failed - rather disastrous -
alternative experiments of the ideological brothers of
the Naxalites that she supports. She also dismisses
Gandhi's struggle. So what does she believe in?

In every such country, that greed brought problems in
its wake - problems that the society solved over time
not always to everyone's satisfaction. If she has a
newer alternative, she needs to spell that out - not
rail against the world.

While she constructs her words well, Arundhati Roy's
veneer of logic is pretty thin almost always. She
would have been taken more seriously as a thinker
otherwise.

Rajib

--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Come on Rajib, at least give it an attempt at a
> rebuttal; if you see something that is untrue,
> incorrect interpretation, subversive motives or
> otherwise untenable; would you?
>
> Dismissing her as 'out of her mind' might give you a
> feeling of superiority - a typical response of those
> who cannot articulate a thought, but persuades no
> one. You oght not to join that crowd :-). It merely
> reaffirms the bitter truths of Indian misgovernment
> and its intelligentsia's irrelevance.
>

> ---- Rajib Das <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As usual the woman is out of her mind! She rails
> for
> > railing's sake!
> >
> > In one single interview, she cannot keep her
> > ideological position constant. Unless being anti
> > something (in her case, her perception of India)
> can
> > be called an ideology.
> >
> > I hear she is getting out of political writing /
> > speaking and into doing another book. Good for her
> -
> > Great for us!
> >
> > And how dare she not mention the glorious
> struggles in
> > Assam - after mentioning the Maoists, Kashmir -
> even
> > Nagaland!
> >

> > --- Chandan Mahanta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > ---------------------------------
> >                     ZNet| On India’s Growing Violence:
> ‘It’s
> > Outright War and Both Sides are Choosing Their
> > Weapons’                                                      A {
> > text-decoration: none;
> > font-weight: bold; color: 003399; }                  A:hover {
> > color: 0000FF; text-decoration: underline  }
> >

> >                 Sender's Comments: Read it. Will do
> you
> > good.
> > cm
> >

> >                             The article below is from
> ZNet.
> > It was sent by a third party, whose address is
> > indicated in the FROM: line of this email. You
> have
> > not been placed on any list.
> >

> > ZNet | A Community of People Committed to Social
> > Change
> >

> >                             On India’s Growing Violence:
> ‘It’s Outright
> > War and Both Sides are Choosing Their

> [...]