Dear Himen da,

Today's AT also refers to this - please see below. And here is another
link:  http://www.assamiyakhabor.com/news3.htm

I have highlighted the portions relevant to our conversation.

With the best,
--Ram

By A City Correspondent
GUWAHATI, March 30 – The chairman of the banned United Liberation Front of
Asom, Arabinda Rajkhowa would do better by giving his speech writer a good
scolding, and renowned writer Mamoni Raisom Goswami would be really
contributing to the peace process by exercising restraint on her public
comments. Member of Parliament Kirip Chaliha today minced no words while
refuting charges levelled against him by Rajkhowa and making observations on
the role of Goswami in the peace initiative.

Addressing mediapersons, Chaliha said the charges brought against him by the
outfit in its e-mail communiqué, sent to the media yesterday, was totally
fabricated and it merely revealed the ignorance of the person who wrote it.
"I firmly say that someone else wrote the statement for Rajhkowa because no
person aware about the political transitions in the State would have said
that I was involved in the secret killings," said Chaliha.

Chaliha reminded the ULFA chairman that he had resigned from the Asom Gana
Parishad on November 20, 1998 protesting against the inefficiency of the
Prafulla Mahanta-led Government and the secret killings. Chaliha claimed
that it was Congress who protested against the secret killings, and Munin
Bharali, the Congress worker killed by ULFA on March 10, was in the
forefront of such protests. "No Delhi-based lecturer had protested against
the secret killings," Chaliha confirmed throwing a challenge to Rajkhowa.
"The secret killers were persons closest to Rakhowa at one time," he
reiterated.

*It needs mention here that ULFA in its statement had lambasted Chaliha
accusing him of demanding the arrest of Goswami.

Chaliha clarified that he had never said such a thing like arrest of the
noted writer for maintaining links with ULFA. "I had simply said that any
person demanding for plebiscite under the UN supervision should be thrown
behind the bars as it is against the Constitution of the country," he said.
*
The People's Committee for Peace Initiative in Assam (PCPIA), a conglomerate
of social and human rights organizations, had been insisting on a plebiscite
to decide on the ULFA's demand for sovereignty.

*In the March 25 issue of an English daily, Goswami, remarking on the issue
of plebiscite, had said that the exercise should be done under UN
supervision.
*
The outfit had said that Chaliha should be hurled to the dustbin for making
comments against Goswami. "I don't mind going to the dustbin as I have long
relation with the dust and soil of Assam and its politics. I have not come
suddenly from Delhi to emerge in the political sky of the State," he fumed.

Chaliha further said that he had immense respect for Goswami, but that she
should not poke her nose in matters that were beyond her grasp. "Goswami
should avoid talking about certain matters without political knowledge," he
advised.

On the other hand, Chaliha said that the peace process could be revived
provided it is done in a proper manner. "Lessons must be learned from the
Mizo and Naga peace talks. There is need to maintain some secrecy in the
peace process, and the peace brokers should realize that it was their
frequent talking to the press regarding the developments that had
complicated the matter," he asserted saying that the PCG's role was over
now.