Dear Mukul da

Thank you for sharing it with us. Yes, its a simple appeal (and touching at
places). But, IMHO it is quite utopian. I also have a few questions

*>Let us feel ashamed that the region of South Asia has still been branded
as >the LARGEST BASTION OF POVERTY*

No country or region will itself to feel "ashamed". Poverty is a malaise
that affects all parts of the world, and under every type of economic or
governmental setup we know.  Asia and Africa are usually the most affected
and the reasons for this are a plenty.

The Govts do share the blame - for their bad policies. Then you have
corruption rife within these countries. Add to that every other problem from
droughts to floods, disease and illiteracy and you have the perfect recipe
for creating 'bastions of poverty'.
So SAARC will not have make one iota of difference - as resources are simply
scarce and populations are booming.

*> a. There will be development of the people, by the people,for the people
in >South Asia.*

You mean "Democracy"? I remember sometime ago we were discussing on this
very net about Singapore. Compared to India, Singapore is much more
economically advanced, cleanest in the world etc. Then we found out that
those things come with a price tag - and that is called freedom.
Economic development, growth are ALSO possible in democracies (like India),
but the nature of democracies is such that it is slow.
And people in places like India often mistake democracy to mean freedom to
steal, corrupt, to form own fiefdoms (insurgent groups fall into this
category) and run around scaring their own people to submission. Goondas and
jailbirds often become MPs and minister baboos. The bigger the goonda and
more corrupt, uneducated one is, the easier it is to become a montri.

*>all the religious and ethnic minorities in all the countries* * >in the
region can find a place of conducive and dignified humane >environment.*

Yeah right. The people in these countries have been killing each other over
religious and caste intollerances for centuries. They do not need to be
egged on by anyone and nor can they be controlled. The politicians
themselves come from this same pool. How on earth can one expect them to
solve all this. But if you are looking for lip service, you have come to the
right place.

*>The profiteering lust of a handful group will not decide the destiny of
the >billions of the region.*

That is capitalism and everyone is in it. Profiteering is not an ugly term.
But there are rules of engagement and even profiteers ought to follow those.

we envision for a visa-free world, visa-free >South Asia .

Huh!. Why are these Bangladeshis complaining? How much easier can India make
it? We let them come, take local jobs, let them influence elections, let
them harbor our insurgents, let them destablize our territories - and now
they tell us to keep the region visa free, open borders.

**In any case, this one-world idea is another pie-in-the-sky dream. Can
never happen.
Also, Mukul da your endorsement took my breath away - how would an
"independent Assam" reconcile with this one-world, no visa stuff. Imagine,
all those lives lost for an independent nation, and then after so many
years, some crazy Bangladeshis want us all live like one big happy family.
:) :)

Sorry about the 'sesa paani'

--Ram