  From: Pradip Kumar Datta
  To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ; assam@assamnet.org
  Sent: Thursday, April 19, 2007 12:50 AM
  Subject: [Assam] Pregnant woman burnt to death

  Pregnant woman burnt to death
  From Our Correspondent
   TEZPUR, April 18 - Uma Satnami a 22-year-old pregnant woman was burnt to
death on Tuesday. According to information available here Uma Satnami wife of
Maheswar Satnami (26) of 1 No. Ulubari, under Thelamara Police Station had
quarrels with the family members for the past few months, allegedly on the
question of dowry.

  In one such instance husband Maheswar Satnami got infuriated and set his wife
on fire.

  After the incident the relatives of the woman lodged a complaint with the
Thelamara police station and the police arrested the husband of the woman. On
receiving the information senior district administration officials rushed to
the spot and ordered an immediate inquiry into the incident.