It has become a way of thinking nowadays to involve the NRIs in the development ventures so as to make them more effective,vibrant. This trend has been in vogue since the first Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in New Delhi on January 9, 2003. This was the first ever attempt made by India to moblize its non-resident people. At the instance of the then Prime Minister: Atal Behari Vajpayee, the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) organized  the event with the High-level Committee on Indian Diaspora headed by Dr. LM Singhvi laying stress on involvement of the Indian Diaspora in country's development initiatives. Thus the 9th day of January is observed as Prabasi Bharatiya Divas every year.

January 9 is significant for the country as on this date in 1915, Father of the Nation: Mahatma Gandhi returned to India from South Africa. The journey still continues.

At the first Pravasi  Bharatiya Divas, Vajpayeeji announced a plan for introduction for dual citizenship for the NRIs. But this announcement is still to be materialized. This year the Pravasi Divas was held in New Delhi on 9 January, 2007.

Government of India has been making it a custom to send some some of its senior officers in UK, Kenya, South Africa and other countries where people of Indian originare living, a few months ahead of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas every year. These officers meet the NRIs and persuade them to attend the Divas functions without fail.

What the NRIs mean to the Government of India? Let me recount one of my experiences here. Once when I was attending a meeting of the Gujrati community living in London, the emissary of the Prime Minister: Dr. Manmohan Singh and UPA Chairperson: Sonia Gandhi, during his adress to the gathering said that he was told by both the Indian leaders not to take the NRIs lightly. For, the leaders told him,"The NRIs mean business. They have made a name for themselves and they have brought a work culture to the country that we are all proud of",said the emissary.

Following the example of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas, saome ex-bureacrats, political leaders of Assam and the North East Chambers of Commerce and Industry (NECCI) started a move in 2003 to moblize the NRIs of Assam origin for a meaningful interaction to usher the State in development. The organizers made it clear before the limited number of NRIs attending the one-day meeting at the Hotel Brahmaputra Ashok that they were not invited with the plea for investment but to share their ideas and experiences with the people of the State. That was in December 2003. The deliberation was very promosing and iniatives was taken to hold this event on a yearly basis. The message was loud and clear. We do not want only your investment, we also want your ideas. We do not want your riches we want the richness of your experiences.

In January 2005, NECCI organized the second such convention in Assam at the instance of Chief Minister: Tarun Gogoi at the Chandmari ground of the Assam Engineering Institute with a three-day programme. Here also a limited number of NRIs were present. The programme of the conferenceincluded interesting seminars, exhibition, cultural show etc. Spokeperson from Bangladesh, Meghalaya discussion groups and talks in the future development of the region and display of handicraft.

I, as an NRI co-ordinator for the UK of the conference, invited Leader of the House of Lords: Lord Navneet Dholokia and his wife Lady Ann to the event. The State Government treated them as the State Guest. Lady Ann inaugurated the exhibition and there she came across the marvelous silk fabrics of Assam and dresses made of these fabrics. She also came to know of the rich artistry of bamboo and cane products of the State. Both the Lord and the Lady also visited the Guwahati Tea Auction Centre and the heritage places within the city during their two-day stay. Immediately after his return to London: Lord Dholokia  expressed his gratitude towards our Chief Minister and people of Assam for inviting him to Assam. It gave me immense pleasure that his journey was fruitful.

Mesmerized by the natural beauty of the place, artistry and hospitality of the people, they returned home with the longing to display the umbrella made of muga fabrics at the Derby show at Epsom, where the custom of displaying fashionable hats and umbrella by the English Royal family members and the glitterati is common.

Lord Dholokia is still dreaming asome benevolent projectys to benefit Assam and its people. The dream he started nuturing since his visit to this place. His dream consists of developning tourism in Assam and a ten-year scheme to provide education to 100-orphaned children of the State. But for more than two years now, Lord Dholokia's proposal is hanging fire for want of takers in the State administration.

This, however, makes one sad even though there are scopes to make such initiatives productive for the benefit of the State and its people. Even we have excellent human resources at our command compared with the rest of the country. But the very approach we have is making us dress in rags and tatters.

The Assam Institute of Management held in January last the Epigenesis Assam 2007 with the same aim at mobilizing the Assamese Diaspora for the development of the State. Epigenesis is a scientific term denoting external influences that change the characteristics  of mineral rocks.

Both the students, entrepreneurs and Diaspora speakers had an opportunity to take part in an interactive session, shared a valuable input towards prospective infrastructure and shared the dias with Govt. ministers and Bureacrats  and enriched the deliberations at the 2 day session conference.

For this we thank the Director of AIMS, Shantikam Hazarika and the organiser  of AIMS for their timely effort. The issues were discussed such as developing the Assam brand in a systematic manner towards seeing Assam's development from a wider global perspective. Several areas were discussed in echoed tourism, infrastructure, science, technology and healthcare. The committee had recommended that the constructive role played by the Assamese diaspora, its achievement and goodwill should be recognised and welcomed.

:To acquaint the Assamese people with the achievement of the Assamese Diaspora and the expectations from Assam.

:To understand the issues affecting the Assamese workers and professionals abroad.

: To understand the NRI sentiments of Assam and create a policy framework for a sustained and productive interaction.

I hope it will have a positive impact.

Indian High Commission regularly arranges meeting with NRIs from different state. Whenever we meet Govt.of India political delegates to UK included several MPs and ministers. We also anxiously look for our bureacrats from Assam. They send their Ministers and senior officers to meet their people and the Ministers and influential people of the foreign nations so as to mobilize  resources for the development of their states. They also organize business meetings abroad for the purpose. Recently, Andhra Pradesh and Gujrat held such meetings with the help of the Indian High Commission at London.

The Government of India's Incredible India is holding annualy a fair at London for the past several yearsa to attract tourists to Indian states. Every state from the country is taking part in the fair displaying the replicas/photos/CDs of the marvels they have to offer to the foreign tourists and investers.

On the other hand, I have been observing that Sikkim, the new entrant in the North Eastern Council (NEC), has been making its presence felt for the past two years in the fair. Its Chief Minister, Minister for Tourism , Commissioner, Tourism and other senior officals have made it a habit to attend the fair regularly. They project Sikkim at the fair in a manner that may be envied by any state like Assam. Even Chief Minister of Sikkim takes the lead in the campaign to profect his state in a glittering manner.

Recently, a team from Assam visited London on the occasion of the Expo-2007 held a Olympia, Earlscourt organized by Incredible India. Union Minister: Ambika Soni inaugurated the Expo. A Minister led the 11-member Assam deputation, which included some senior officers. I hope the members of the Assam delegation have given some valuable feedbacks to the State Government.

Needless it to say that such visits of lawmakers also provide ample scopes for interactions which we need to attract foreign investors.

Let me present one interesting bit of information. Gujarat, Chief Minister: Narendra Modi invited an UK delegation attending a Pravasi Bharatiya Sanmelan to see the kite flying festival held in his state. This was the novel way of Narendra Modi to promote tourism in his state. Assam has innumerable festivals that may prove more enchanting than the kite flying festival of Gujrat. But for that we should have the drive.

Assam should acquire the art of marketing itself and for that it should have a trained army of leaders, officials, business managers and intellectuals. Organizations of the industries and commerce like CII, NECCI and FINER can play a major role in this regard.

And for the investors, who are eagerly looking for newer areas, we have the scopes for hydel and thermal power plants based on our river and coal reserves. We also have our sector like eri, muga, weaving, bell metal, cane and bamboo etc, which are awaiting investments. But what we need today is an organized and concerted mocve involving the entirte State. There should not be any Asomiya Kekora (Assamese crab) syndrome eating into our patriotism. We have a lot to learn from the Bangladesh people who is getting all the attention globally.

By these seminars and conference and listening to the important speakers, I can come to only one conclusion: as an NRI our aim (if we can) must be to assist the Govt in the discharge of its duties by coming up with some collective wisdom and try to get widespread acclaim from the intellectuals, bureacrats, media person, political and business leaders and the policy makers. We can give contact of the various donors and funds.

Lack of adequate opportunity for economic prosperity mey be the missing link and if we can solve that we can create the good old days Assam which was known for its hospitality and warmth and more importantly for its peaceful environment. Let's not wait for anyone, let's not keep talking about the legacies and feel depressed and let's do whatever we can in our own limited way, may be the prescription of a workable strategy today for all the players and the progress should automatically follow.

Recently we have formed an NGO called FASS (Friends of Assam and Seven Sisters) which is based in Houston, Texas. This non-profit non governmental organization is run by Rajen Barua who is an Engineer by profession in Houston. Also there is an office of FASS which is run by Bidyananda Barkakoty from Guwahati. There is also a website which is: www.friendsofassam.org

FASS is a non-profit non governmental organization, an international 'think-tank'  which is aimed at providing an inspirational energy and a motivating force for overall revival and development of the North East India in all its spheres.  During the British Raj and till after India's independence, the North East India,  except for the states of Manipur, Tripura & Sikkim, was under one geographical name of Assam. After India's independence however, several new states have been formed. Along with the new states one also sees the rise of various insurgent groups in the North East which are still continuing unabated.  Overall the entire North East region suffers from acute underdevelopment in spite of its rich natural resources compared to the rest of the country. We believe among various other factors it reflects poorly on the governance of the North East by the central political leadership on one hand and a lack of proper local leadership on the other combined with a lack of understanding of the cultures of the region with the required sensitiveness.

Against this background, Friends of Assam and Seven Sisters (FASS) offers a common platform for all friends and well-wishers of Northeast to respond and work for the common good of the peoples of the Northeast and make the Northeast shine in its own glory which is its due.

Rini Kakati

(The author is a Counsellor for Ethnic Minority Asian Communities, Department of Social Services, London Borough of Tower Hamlet)