Saw this in the Sentinel website this morning.

I was wondering if this writer is yet another anti-Indian dead-set on besmirching India's good name, making it look bad to the world, or some one seeking western elites' approval or yet another clueless Indian who knows what is going on around but have no idea how to help turn things around.

Perhaps some of or friends here in assamnet would try to help Kaushish with some ideas about her concluding plea: More voices must be raised against criminalisation of politics and ways found to reverse this growing malaise.

Will that work, I mean raising more voices? Has it been working so far? If not, WHO will find the ways?

cm

EDITORIAL

Winning is the name of the game
- Poonam I Kaushish
Forget the human trafficking case and the can of worms of our illustrious MPs. Merrily dismissed by the Government as "the House (Parliament) can't be blamed for a few black sheep." But you ain't seen nothing yet. If you subscribe to the view that "UP is India," then here is a shocker. Forget caste and creed, criminalisation is the flavour in the on-going State Assembly elections. Election Commission or no Election Commission. Making one wonder whether this is the harbinger of a new don. Is this the curtain raiser of India's future?

There were over 582 candidates facing criminal charges in the poll fray in the first five rounds of polling in the State. Of which the ruling Samajwadi Party tops the list with 35 per cent candidates who have criminal cases pending against them. In the fifth phase alone, there were as many as 115 candidates, 44 per cent of whom belonged to the BSP. The highest 'crime chart buster' is an RLD candidate with 59 cases, followed by an Apna Dal nominee with 45 cases and a BSP criminal with 28 cases.

These figures have been collated by the "UP election Watch" Forum, headed by a retired Director General of Police who avers that anything and everything possible in Uttar Pradesh. Criminals, fudged electoral rolls et al. Recalling his own experience during the 2002 Assembly polls, he found three additional names added to the voters list against his address. When the Election Commission issued a revised list following his complaint, to his horror he found that instead of deleting the three names another four had been added.

Worse, the revised list showed 128 "voters" living in the two-tenement house across his own. Not only that. These people enjoyed the maximum security (Z level only given under exceptional circumstances)-all at Government expense. Further, many candidates who had declared huge assets did not even have permanent account numbers (PAN).

Tragically, in such a political environment where criminal-politicos call the shots, they establish contacts with their counterparts in neighbouring States and an action-reaction modality ensues. Take Bihar. The situation there is no better. According to the Election Commission the two States, account for at least 40 MPs and 700 MLAs who faced criminal charges that included murder, dacoity, rape, theft and extortion.

More. The India chapter of Social Watch, comprising sitting and former MPs Nilotpal Basu, Madhusudan Mistry, Pyari Mohan Mahapatra and Sandeep Dixit has confirmed that a quarter of the MPs-125 out of 538 in the current 14th Lok Sabha have a criminal background. While 62 have been named in minor cases, mostly of a political nature, the rest have been booked for serious crimes that could lead to a jail term of five years and above. Among them, half of those with serious criminal cases against them are from UP, Bihar, Jharkhand and MP.

The Congress has the highest tally of 11 MPs who have charged of committing major offences and 16 with minor ones, followed by the BJP with 15 MPs indicted for major crimes and 13 minor ones, next comes the BSP with 5 MPs hauled up for major offences and two for minor ones. Never mind that recently a Parliamentary committee had rejected the Election Commission's proposal to ban persons accused of serious criminal offences and where the court is prima facie convinced about their involvement in the crime from contesting elections till they are cleared of such charges.

True, criminalisation of politics and politicisation of crime have become so synonymous in India that it does not even create a ripple, let alone set the Ganges on fire. Correct, that it is one of the main reasons for the deteriorating law and order situation. It is also a given that the inability of the State to arrest and prosecute politicos with criminal antecedents is primarily because the State is part of the problem and not the solution. Notwithstanding various court judgments trying to cry a halt to this blatant and brazen show of muscle power.

Look what happened to the Vohra Committee Report of 1995 which said it all. But today the Power Daddies of Crime, Muscle, Money and Mafia dismiss it as kid stuff. Running a paralled government with the established linkages with bureaucrats, Government functionaries at the local levels, politicians, media persons and strategically located individuals while pushing the state apparatus into irrelevance is old hat. Today transnational crime is the order of the day. Naxalites, Maoist, ULFA, Bodo militants ISI are the new warlords. Arguably, when the institutions of governance have been infiltrated, what's the way to stem this rot?

Don't look to the Courts. They have gone hoarse trying to stop this, but to no avail. Inform voters about the criminal record of candidates. Where should one start, nearly all are tarred with the same brush. Candidate's competence, capacity and suitability for acting as parliamentarian or legislator. In a milieu of jo jeeta woh sikander what competence are we talking about? Educational qualifications? Politics is all about learning the ABC of power. Not applying for a peon's job or a government job where bio-data are mandatory.

On the flip side, it is difficult to believe that the common man is ignorant about his candidate's criminal antecedents, lack of qualifications and character. Clearly, in an environment wherein caste, creed and class become the dominant factor in selection, criminal tendencies become increasingly irrelevant. Besides, one cannot ignore the harsh reality that in a democracy the people get the government they want and elect. So if the common man finds a criminal to be affable who responds to his distress call and elects him his leader who are we to crib?

There is no gainsaying that the growing Indian middle class is not averse to electing criminals if they can become their patrons and 'deliver the goods'? As a former Chief Minister argued when quizzed about having 22 Ministers in his Cabinet with criminal antecedents, "I don't bother about the Ministers' past. After joining the Government, they are not indulging in crimes and are ready to help suppress criminal activities. Ask the people why they have elected them." How do you rebut this logic?

Ironically, the slow withering away of the national political parties at the grassroots level and the simultaneous mushrooming rise of the regional parties with their Made in India leaders have led to the politics of manipulation replacing the politics of mass appeal. The limited purpose of these new leaders is to derive legitimacy through the ballot box; once elected, their exercise of power is designed to seek personal and group advantage by conbering the resources of the State. A classic example of you-scratch-my-back-and-I-yours. Our leaders need their criminal muscle and in return promise immunity from the legal processes and their 'rightful' share of the State's resources from their clients in the political, bureaucratic and police administration.

Significantly, when a criminal becomes a law maker, the first thing he does is to cover-up his own crimes and that of his cronies. Then he allows babus to indulge in criminal deeds for a cut in the deal. Next formulates laws which are favourable to his rich cronies. Based on our inherently flawed criminal laws which work on the premise that a politician is innocent until proved guilty. Against this backdrop, whom should the common man turn to for justice?

In the ultimate, the nexus between the corrupt leaders and their party bosses underscores the crisis of governance and underlines the resulting enfeeblement of state security. The conspiracy of silence by the people has further accentuated the political and administrative downslide into mayhem. A stop can only be put once our policy picks up courage to end this trend. More voices must be raised against criminalisation of politics and ways found to reverse this growing malaise. -INFA