The answer is in the Assamese spelling of the stated chilli, i.e. bh't o kare
bho and murdhonyo to <&#2477;&#2507;&#2463;> which is not the same spelling as
bhut <&#2477;&#2498;&#2468;>. At least the concerned correspondents could have
got a clue from the Assamese spelling of the stated jolokiya.

Best
Priyankoo

kamal deka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: I am a Tinsukian in every sense of the
meaning and very well-conversant with the language,including local
dialects.Could anyone explain to me why these chillies are stratified as  bih
jolokia,although they are certainly not poisonous? In my considered
opinion,they are classified as bhoot jolokia perhaps because of this
fact:---herou bih jolokia nekhabi,khale bhoot dekhi jabi  bapeke.The name could
very well be derived from the bhot tribe,but in day-to- day conversation,it
appears to have a different connotation.Could it be possible that they are so-
called in order to indicate the 'hotness' of these chillies rather than
pointing towards the ' tribe' in question? It could be figurative rather than
literal.

 BTW,these are also called ' kordoixira jolokia' and 'Noga jolokia' by some
locals.But,in my view,these two varieties are a bit different from
bhot/bhoot/bih jolokia.

 Regards,
 KJD

 On 6/18/07, Priyankoo <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:  I am from Tinsukia
district, born and brought up there, never heard of bhoot jolokiya, though. It
is true some people pronounce the "o" as "u", but that does not make a ghost
out of a tribe name, as far as the meaning is concerned.

It also does not justify the poor homework, on part of the correspondent!

best,
Priyankoo

kamal deka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:   In Ujoni Oxom ( in and around Tinsukia
district ) ,the ' jolokias' in question are called ' bhoot jolokia or ' bih
jolokia '.The name ' bhot jolokia' is perhaps unheard of in that part of the
world.

 In Namoni Oxom ( Kamrup district in particular ), the chillies,in general, are
called ' bhijlook'.

 KJD

 On 6/17/07, Pradip Kumar Datta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]  > wrote:   'Bhut jolokia is
world's hottest chilli'
 THE VICTOR, THE VANQUISHED
New Delhi, June 17: They are as tez as they come. The bhut jolokia or 'ghost
chillies' of Tezpur figure in the Time Magazine's latest issue as the world's
hottest chilli.
The magazine's cover story that takes a look at the culinary specialities and
peculiarities around the world has zeroed in on the burnt orange pods,
developed in a military laboratory in Tezpur, as packing the deadliest punch.
The article 'Global Warming' notes that the bhut jolokia, also called the Naga
chilli, carries the sort of heat that one normally would find only in the
hottest chilli sauces made from pure pepper extract.
 Chilli heat is measured in Scoville Heat Units (SHUs), and while pure
capsaicin, the main capsaicinoid in a chilli, measures 16 million SHUs, the
ghost chilli measures just over one million SHUs. (PTI)

Dex matho eta dharona, thikonar xex xari...