Walid-da,

So in bliss to hear from you - esp. the detailed account and reminisces of your
life in the early days - and  far removed it is from the following generations.
I still wonder how one would be able to smell a rose before buying it online in
the days to come.

Umesh

"W.Saleh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Dear Umesh,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It seems students in the present
day America get opportunities to maintain a car worth US$ 3.500/- and live a
life of luxury. The next generation which will come to study in USA would
have a different life. You mention that when you took your first flight
Google earth was not there. I am sure the generation will certainly have a
different set of software. May be they will be able to smell the fragrance
of the flower before they place an order. It is being experimented now.

Myself, I belong to a different generation. In the autumn of my life I have
learnt to look to life from a different angle. I sailed from Bombay (nay
Mumbai) to Genoa. It took 16 days.

In my childhood not all houses had electricity. I grew up without radios,
refrigerators, electrical fans, and air conditioners, running water or flush
toilets. Also in those days, unknown to us were products like contact
lenses, copying and fax machines, ballpoints, gas cylinders etc.

At Jorhat, in my early schooldays, at dawn before the world woke up, a group
of Harijan men and women employed by the municipality started their work by
collecting night soil. They went from house to house to collect human
excreta in a large tin then carry on the same to deposit it in a big tank,
which was then pulled away by a tractor. Some of us would not like to
remember that such professions existed in a free country like India.

In those days we did not hear about CD, DVD, MP3, video, PIN, magnetrons,
artificial kidneys, GSM, word processing, computers, Internet, e-mail, ATM,
jet engines, satellites or hippies and yuppies. We never heard of mid-life
crisis or the burnout syndrome or the LAT (living apart together) relation.
We knew only about 33 RPM gramophone records of His Masters Voice. The
dentist of my childhood used a foot driven machine to drill a tooth.

In our young days when something happened in the town the main means of mass
communication was a rickshaw fitted with a loudspeaker announcing the coming
event, which was most of the time about screening of a new film. We may be
the last generation who thought that one needs a man to have a baby.
Artificial insemination and test tube babies were unheard of. No wonder that
there is a generation gap.

In spit of lacking all the modern amenities we went further exploring new
frontiers. But we have survived. The same is the case with your generation.
I am sure the generation before us - when they went abroad for their studies
in 1920 had completely different type of experience.

It is just how you look to life and what you make out of it.

Wahid da