From Assam to Malwa, students engineer a future        Navjeevan Gopal
      Talwandi Sabo, August 20: They may have different reasons - prevailing
unrest in their home state, scarcity of engineering and technology colleges in
their area, search for quality education and fear of contacting AIDS by
studying in metros like Bangalore and Delhi - but several Assamese students
have a common destination in Malwa.   For instance, Talwandi Sabo-based Guru
Gobind Singh College of Engineering and Technology is fast earning the
distinction of being a hub of Assamese students. Already, the college boasts of
enrolling more than a hundred students from Assam alone in different streams of
engineering and technology courses

  College principal Dr Narinder Singh attributes the drift of Assamese students
towards Punjab to “Assam being a disturbed area”. He says, “Their parents do
not feel safe in getting them educated in their home state due to the
prevailing unrest.”
  Ask Rimi Boruah, who hails from Guwahati and is studying information
technology in the college, and she would agree with what Dr Narinder says.
“Rampant violence and frequent bandhs in the state have an adverse effect on
studies,” she rues.   But, Monmi, who laments that “Assam is wrongly being
tagged as a terrorist state”, says it is the quality of education that she is
here for. “Moreover, the college is named after a Sikh Guru and that influenced
my parents, who decided that I should study here,” she says.   Devabrat
Borgohain, another student hailing from Dhemaji district of Assam, has another
reason to choose the college in this part of Punjab, where modernity is still
in its infancy. “Parents in Assam avoid sending their wards to metropolitans
like Bangalore and Delhi. Due to ultra-modern lifestyles there, parents fear
their children may contract diseases like AIDS and fall prey to drug
addiction,” reveals Borgohain, who is studying electronics and communication
 engineering.   Bikiron from Guwahati echoes similar views. “Bangalore has
become a trend and a cluster of Assamese students, but we must not forget that
criminal activities are fast on rise in metros like Bangalore and Delhi. So, we
chose this college,” he says.   The idea of getting employment opportunities
here is also another attraction. Rejul Bashir is hopeful he would be absorbed
by some company is Punjab after he completes his studies in IT. “There are not
many colleges in Assam for quality education in the field of IT. I am sure
after passing out from here, I will be easily placed in some company in Punjab
itself,” he hopes.   Hailing from Jorhat, another Assamese student Trishanka
laments the meagre number of engineering and technology colleges in Assam. “We
need more engineering and technology colleges in Assam, as there are only two
run by the government and as many run privately,” she says.   While the
Assamese students shower all praise on students from Punjab
 for being, their Punjabi friends are also very thrilled to have them here.
“They are very nice and friendly. I am teaching Punjabi to one of them,” says
computer and science engineering (CSE) student Harjaspal Singh, who hails from
Rampura Phul.

  http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=251973