We can only vent our feelings in forums like this but can not do anything to change the situation.

*** Absolutely NOT TRUE!

I know it is easy for me to say. But each one of us can and ought be doing something about it. Question is HOW?

Let us be analytical. Keep asking the questions until we can pin down WHY it happens. And once we get to the root cause/s, start doing something about it.

Mind you, it will need some commitment--on the part of the intelligentsia, which has been absent from its governance.

Elections are not the be-all and end-all of democratic governance. It is merely a process for selecting a crew to run the ship of state. But if the electors do that on the basis of "Cast your vote--vote your caste", or mis-information, dis-information and no-information on ISSUES that so affect their lives, the chances of your getting a slate of representatives even barely competent to govern is about slim to none. Such a 'democratic' government is useful only to wave at the developed world who go ga-ga over the 'successes' of Indian democracy. But we know a whole lot better, don't we?

Now then, can this democratically elected 'crew' take the ship of state anywhere if the sails are torn, the mast is down, the hull is leaky and the sailors on duty drunk? That is the condition that defines Indian INSTITUTIONS of government--which have been existing ONLY on paper, dysfunctional to the core. Am I exaggerating? You tell us.

But WHO will change things?

A simple answer would be : An informed polity. Not the uninformed, not the disenfranchised, not those tottering at the brink of survival. Nor would the ESTABLISHMENT who profits handsomely for the dysfunctional state, and its REVERSE ROBIN-HOODISM of stealing from the many to enrich a few, even if only by default.

So, I would submit, the only way to take government BACK from the non-performers and scoundrels and give it back to the people-- if it ever was theirs -- will be to begin at the beginning: Radical reforms with the system of elections, political parties and its formations, radically reforming the institutions of state, re-writing the Constitution with clear separation of powers between lawmaking, administration and the judiciary--- so on and so forth. I can go on and on. If you wish, I will be even be pleased to.

Question is whether Indian intelligentsia really cares, and if it does, whether it can muster the courage and has the wherewithal to, at long last, begin to do its share for their collective well-being.

But having watched the scene in desperation for decades, I am NOT about to hold my breath!

cm