mm

Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:34:05 -0500To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]: Re: [Assam] IIT Chief: Ram, science and religious belief

Dr. Indiresan  spent a lot of time pretending to be singing the praises of
scientific pursuits of the truth and rational thinking. But really he bares in
this article, filled with inane arguments , his own inability to reconcile
rational thinking expected of a man of his stature as a technocrat and
educationist, supposedly excelling in inculcating an ethos of  learning with a
critical and analytical approach required of technical/scientific studies, with
irrational dogmas  camouflaged  as a defence of Hindu 'sentiments' from  an
unfair and/or selective challenges to the irrationalities of the faith's myriad
myths. Dr. Indiresan is attempting to have it both ways,  sporting the aura of
a rational technocrat while spouting irrational arguments in defense of
'feelings' and 'sentiments'.

Allow me to explain:

>The same holds good in the case of Ram too; there is no proof that he existed;
>neither is there any >scientific proof that he did not exist. That is where
>‘rational’ scientists drift outside the scientific path. >They make assertions
>about matters of faith, forgetting their own principles. They can say, at the
>most, >there is no proof that Ram was a real person. They cannot proceed
>further and assert that Ram was >not a real person.

*** Fair enough. Rationalists cannot  prove or assert Lord Ram was NOT a real
person. But what does that have to do with the issue at hand: Whether Ram-sethu
was built by Ram or his minions?  Should the likes of Dr. Indiresan , no doubt
someone endowed with wisdoms that shallow rationalists are deprived of , NOT
pursue the question to its logical end? Or would it amount to  attacking a
soft-target, thus out of bounds for the wise rationalist?

*** Furthermore, a rational scientist /technocrat would NOT stop at that. She
would also dig deeper to look at the  REAL issue: Whether destroying the
geological features of the sea-bed referred to as the Ram-sethu in Indian
folklore is a prudent thing to do, considering its many ramifications that
could be examined scientifically. Is he doing that? Is he showing any
inclination to do that?

>But why not tolerate the dogma of scientists when no objections are raised
>about religious dogma?

*** Scientific dogma is an oxymoron.  While I am acutely aware of Indians'
proclivity for misusing  English words and phrases, often because it is a
foreign language, but many times willfully in pursuit of less than noble ends;
one would have expected someone of the stature of Dr. Indiresan to be a tad bit
more careful.  But it is a well worn tactic to devalue and demonize objects of
one's dislike with  clever use of words and phrases when one is dealing with a
paucity of reason.

>In the Indian context, rationalists become dangerous, because they attack
>selectively. All religions >survive on myths. Rationalists would have been on
>more solid ground if they had attacked myths of all >religions.

***This  is Dr. Indiresan's  coup-de-grace in his  devaluing of rational
thinking on the matter. Or so one might think unless  one is careful to analyze
it.

Faith, even Dr. Indiresan would agree, is a very PERSONAL thing. One does not
have to be rational about it, like he tells us.  If so, it ought not to be an
issue to be injected into matters of state, that affects  ALL, regardless of
their faith/s;  particularly to a state that is as vastly diverse in its faiths
as India is.

Furthermore, it is one thing to be analytical about ones own faith; to question
its beliefs, its myths, its dogmas; but quite another to do so about somebody
else's.  One would have expected Dr. Indiresan to be mindful of such nuances of
ordinary propriety and courtesy that he implies others of lacking. It is NOT
unbecoming of a Hindu, even a nominal one, to questions Hindu myths or
superstitions or prejudices. For he is the one who is being affected by them.
But it is uncouth to go  questioning others' faiths. The Hindu, widely bandied
to be tolerant, has no business meddling in
somebody else's faith, UNLESS, they are meddling in his lifestyle or well-being
by imposing their will on matters of state, which affect everyone.

That is the subtle but critical difference that Dr. Indiresan fails to note.
That is why his big argument against the 'rationalists' in 'the Indian context'
is little more than yet another foray into that twilight  zone of foggy logic
where ordinary meanings  of words and phrases no longer operate, as in special
Indian meanings to "secularism", "democracy", "rationalist" and so forth.

What Dr. Indiresan tells us  here is that in spite of his implied approval of
rational thinking in general, he is unable to accept it when it is not applied
'fairly' to ALL religions 'in the Indian context' , as if  it would somehow rid
Hinduism of its irrational burdens or absolve the Ram-sethu issue of its
irrationality. What he demonstrates is his personal insecurity over his own
faith, unable to reconcile the dichotomy imposed by injection of faith in
affairs of state.

No wonder that so many  Indian scientists, technocrats and intellectuals can
cite chapter and verse
of the collective wisdoms of mankind acquired to date, but are unable to apply
them for the well-being of their own.

cm