Prof. Durgeshwar Das was a favorite teacher of mine. I am surprised that not 
many people have written on him. He was dedicated to Mathematics and tried so 
hard to get some of us interested in Math to do B.Sc.honors in Math. I let him 
down but I still remember his encouraging words why Math serves as the basis of 
modern science.
  I will never forget his tamol tinged lips, and the white kurta and dhoti that 
Ramgopal mentioned. When we were in Cotton College, we were inrtigued that the 
village of Jalukbari could produce an accomplished Math teacher like Prof. D. 
Das.
  May his soul rest in peace. I hope Cotton College sets up a memorial in his 
name.
  Dilip Deka

Ram Sarangapani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    This sad news brings back many memories. Many ex-Cottonians may remember 
Prof. Das fondly. 
  He had an imposing figure, sported an impressive handlebar mustache, and 
always wore a spotless white dhuti. Having grown up at Jalukbari, I knew Prof. 
Das since my childhood. 
   
  One incident will remain ingrained with me forever, and is still vivid. Prof. 
Das literally picked me up from the muck & dirt (so to speak) - well, I was 
learning cycling, and in my exuberance of being able to ride fast & furious on 
my brand new bike, didn't quite see the open gela-nolah (open drain). Prof. 
Das, walking by, came to my rescue, picked me up, and had me take a quick dip 
in the nearby pukhuri (tank). 
   
  Well, Das Sir, thank you so much for being our teacher, for having been there 
in my formative years, and thank you for picking me up from that drain. You are 
in my thoughts, and may your soul rest in peace.
  --Ram
  ________________________________________________________
  From the AT
  By A Staff Reporter
 GUWAHATI, Sept 20 – Former Professor of Mathematics, Cotton College, Prof 
Durgeswar Das breathed his last at a city nursing home recently. He was 82 and 
leaves behind his wife, two sons and four daughters. 

Born in Jalukbari in 1925, Das passed his matriculation examination from Cotton 
Collegiate Higher Secondary School and did his graduation from Cotton College. 
Immediately after completing his graduation, he joined the Jalukbari high 
school as its headmaster. He later completed his post graduation from the 
Gauhati University in 1955 and joined the Mathematics Department of Cotton 
College. He retired from Cotton College in 1986. 

_______________________________________________
assam mailing list
[email protected]
http://assamnet.org/mailman/listinfo/assam_assamnet.org

_______________________________________________
assam mailing list
[email protected]
http://assamnet.org/mailman/listinfo/assam_assamnet.org

Reply via email to