Dear All,

  Water, at one time, needed no policy. As it has become scarce, it has become
a commodity in the economic and commercial jargon.Now, the UN too has declared
that right to water is a human right.

  In this perspective, we have to examine whether the policy to be adopted by
the State Government will be beneficial to public interest or to commercial
interest. Recently, there were some articles on this point in Frontline and the
implications of the water policies of different states, though couched in
benign words, have been found to be to the detriment of the people and
commercially beneficial to big business interest.

  Therefore, with the help from a friend, ( I refrain from naming him, because,
I have not taken his permission for that), I got this copy and I forward it to
all of you for your perusal, because, I think it touches us all.

  Thank you.

Uttam Kumar Borthakur