Ram-da,

Bottomline is your view does not count

So what,  if US hob-nobs with Military Ruled Pakistan,
 So what, if US promoted Talibans to counter Soviet
(and now fighting the same Talibans !),  so what if US
turned a blind eye to Tienman Square ..... all while
waving a flag of DEMOKRASY ......

>>Heh-heh!

>>**** That was one heck of a JUMPING to CONCLUSIONS
you undertook Ram.

>>Did *I* suggest or even IMPLY that India ought to
have cut-off
diplomatic relations?

>>What I was pointing to was a far more HYPOCRITICAL
stance:

>Government of India has decided to provide all
assistance to Myanmar
>Army, as the neighbouring country was willing to help
India.
>Significantly, Defence Secretary Shekhar Dutta had
last month paid a
>quiet visit to Myanmar to discuss the demand for
weapons. He briefed
>the meeting about the outcome of his visit.

**** But I understand why my post struck that raw
nerve again :-).

>Yes, India is a democracy,

**** Yes indeed, desi-demokratic that is, where
ordinary meanings of
these terms like democracy, secularism and the like do
not apply.

>  and it has known of Burma's dictatorship for
decades. It has also
>known of the Ayotollas in Tehran, the >commies in
China, and of
>Fidel in Cuba. What about Pakistan, where, one would
think, most
>would >love India wiped out. And what about
Bangladesh, which is not
>very India friendly?

**** The difference you avoided acknowledging and
addressing, again, lies with:

>Government of India has decided to provide all
assistance to Myanmar
>Army, as the neighbouring country was willing to help
India.
>Significantly, Defence Secretary Shekhar Dutta had
last month paid a
>quiet visit to Myanmar to discuss the demand for
weapons. He briefed
>the meeting about the outcome of his visit.

>  "if you are not with us, then you must be against
us"

*** Nice try!

c-da

At 7:48 AM -0600 10/4/07, Ram Sarangapani wrote:
>  >****What leaves me curious about is if GoI was
aware of Burma's
>military >dictatorship's activities spanning decades,
as relates to
>its people's democratic >aspirations, and how it fit
with India's
>own dedication to democracy?
>
>C'da, just couldn't resist. Yes, India is a
democracy, and it has
>known of Burma's dictatorship for decades. It has
also known of
>the Ayotollas in Tehran, the commies in China, and of
Fidel in Cuba.
>What about Pakistan, where, one would think, most
would love India
>wiped out. And what about Bangladesh, which is not
very India
>friendly?
>
>Do you suggest that India severe all ties with such
countries? After
>all, there are people in all these countries seeking
democratic
>aspirations.
>
>The US and every other democratic country have always
had
>relationships (at least tolerated) with countries
that really do not
>hold the same values. What about the US and
Venezuela? Should the US
>severe that relationship, because there too millions
seek democratic
>aspirations.?
>
>Like, every other democratic country, India is no
different. It can,
>and should, maintain relationships with other
countries (even the
>not friendly ones or those run by dictators) at
different levels.
>I am surprised, you seem to be saying "if you are not
with us, then

charter.net> wrote:

>Greetings Goswami.  It is heartwarming to see
Kharkhowa xangbadik
>xokolor utkontha  ( Assamese journalist's concerns)
about the
>Burmese people's struggles for democratic rights.
>

>And my Kharkhowa heart glows with pride  with the
powerful stance
urging ----

>">---- the Government of India to create diplomatic
pressure on the
>Burmese junta to refrain from >repressive measures
against those
>carrying on the democracy movement in the country."
>

>That ought to leave no doubt on how committed you all
are to
>democratic values.
>

>More so in view of the following that appeared in
your paper, the
>AT, obviously with a sense of relish
>( note the highlighted parts)  some months back:
>

><<http://www.assamtribune.com/>http://www.assamtribune.com/><http://www.assamtribune.com/>

>http://www.assamtribune.com/    6 October 2006
>From Our Spl Correspondent
>  NEW DELHI, Oct 5 - Notwithstanding the setback in
the ULFA peace
>process, the Centre is unwilling to write off the
peace process and
>has held out fresh hope by indicating that it was
still willing to
>stop Army operations, if the outfit responded
positively. The
>Centre' latest gambit came from National Security
Adviser, MK
>Narayanan, who told newsmen here today that he was
willing to call
>off the Army operations, if ULFA comes for talks.
>
>The NSA was responding to news reports, which quoted
ULFA's
>mouthpiece Freedom as having said that the outfit was
still open to
>finding a 'political solution' to the insurgency in
Asom.

>Replying to a query, he said that he was unaware
about ULFA's
>statement. "But, if it is true then it is most
welcome. I will stop
>operation if they come," he added.
>
>The NSA had come to the Ministry of Home Affairs to
take a meeting
>on the internal security.
>
>In the latest issue of its mouthpiece, the ULFA said
it was, "still
>hopeful of a political solution and it would respond
to any such
>efforts initiated by the Centre through the PCG". The
mouthpiece
>said it was confident that the PCG would work for
bringing about a
>"political solution".
>
>ULFA's latest threat to target Congressmen in the
State, as well as
>the sudden end to the peace process has the Centre
thinking. The UPA
>Government at the Centre, which was hoping for a
breakthrough, is
>upset at the breakdown of the peace process.
Politically, the UPA
>may not find much support among its allies, with the
CPI-M already
>stating it wanted the peace process to continue.
>
>The reluctance on part of ULFA to commit in writing,
unabated
>extortions and growing belligerence of the outfit
coupled with stern
>warning from Army and intelligence agencies forced
the Centre to
>call off the suspension of operation on September 24.
Subsequently,
>the PCG also pulled out of the peace process.
>
>The development may be significant, because it comes
at a time when
>the Centre is bracing up to intensify operations
against ULFA and by
>all indications, a coordinated operation with Myanmar
Army may be in
>the offing.
>
>Last evening, as reported today, a high level meeting
chaired by
>Cabinet Secretary, BK Chaturvedi and attended by top
brass of the
>three services, intelligence officials, was held at
South Block to
>take stock of the internal security situation
including Army
>operations in Asom.
>
>Government of India has decided to provide all
assistance to Myanmar
>Army, as the neighbouring country was willing to help
India.
>Significantly, Defence Secretary Shekhar Dutta had
last month paid a
>quiet visit to Myanmar to discuss the demand for
weapons. He briefed
>the meeting about the outcome of his visit.
>

>****What leaves me curious about is if GoI was aware
of Burma's
>military dictatorship's activities spanning decades,
as relates to
>its people's democratic aspirations, and how it fit
with India's own
>dedication to democracy?  And the ATs too?
>

>Any ideas?
>

>Best.
>

>cm

>At 1:29 PM +0100 10/4/07, ranenkumar goswami wrote:
>
>>Newsmen's support to Burmese cause
>>
>Guwahati, October 4: The Journalists' Forum, Assam on
>
>Thursday urged the Government of India to create
>diplomatic pressure on the Burmese junta to refrain
>from repressive measures against those carrying on
the

>democracy movement in the country.
>    In a meeting at the Guwahati Press Club with JFA
>president Rupam Baruah in chair, the newsmen's body
>asked the Union Government not to remain silent on
the