Serious discussions are needed--
 How Else to make do- with what annual surface water can be had-and distributed
equitably to all LIFE living and farming in that particular watershed.
Civil Engineering  should be all about  that.
NGO's/Panchayati Raj should be all about that.
GIS/AgroTechnics/Dry-area farming techniques/Drought-Resistance-hybrids/GMcrops
with such desireable Traits---is all about that.
Must we leave it all to Delhi -based DA and TA collectors whose only handbook
are airlines timetables?
Get rid of these parasites-and start all over again.
MM

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 19:57:21
+0530Subject: Re: [WaterWatch] Urgent: PR on No irrigation benefits after
spending 100 000 crores over twelve years

Thanks, Sreekumar, my responses to your respective questions given below in the
same sequence:

1. There is some project specific information, where due to silting of dams and
canals, the area irrigated by existing canals has been reducing. More
importantly, there is state specific information. We have given graphs for six
major states: AP, TN, Rajasthan, MP (including Chhattisgrh), J&K and Karnataka.
We are collecting infomation for other states.

2. The data in our PR shows that inspite of spending so much money, net areas
irrigated by canals has been reducing. Indeed, we were, in stead to spend money
in proper up keep, repair and maintenance of existing infrastructure and also
in trying to reduce siltation, the benefit per investment would be much larger
and without the additional social and env impacts. But I cannot off hand
remember any study on those lines.

3. The figure of 17000 crores is from a World Bank study in 2005. It does not
give details. The total amount we have spent on big irrigation projects after
independence is above Rs 200 000 crores. So Rs 17000 would be 8.5% of it.
Considering about 17.8 m ha net canal irrigated areas at peak, it would mean
about Rs 10 000/- per ha, which also includes cost of maintaining the dam
infrastructure. It seems to be a reasonable figure, but there could be
variation between different scales of systems/ states.

Hope this gives some indicative answers to your question.

Himanshu