Somehow I am getting a strong burning smell :-)

>>Math and Science Teaching and Student Achievement
>>Dates: Pre-departure orientation in United States:
>>July 1-2, 2008
>>            Program in India: July 4-August 8, 2008
>>http://www.fulbright->>india.org/USPSummerSeminar/current_seminar/math_scie>>nce.aspx

>>  Participants: U.S. educators and administrators
from middle and secondary schools who have
responsibility for curriculum and instruction in the
mathematics and science, and related subjects
   Program Content:
  India has emerged as a major player in the
global-knowledge economy. Big corporate houses from
across the globe have recognized India's capacity and
are eagerly looking to this country for new talent
primarily in scientific and business fields. What is
the role of India's education system in this success?
  The seminar will provide an opportunity for U.S.
middle and secondary school teachers to be familiar
with the school-level education system in India and to
observe the process of curriculum development, its
implementation in the classroom, and the training of
teachers in mathematics and science. The focus on
mathematics and science teaching will be interspersed
with the broader understanding of India's history,
culture and society.
  The program will consist of two phases, namely,
academic study and field visits, and participants will
engage with educational planners, administrators and
implementers at national and state levels. The first
four-five day academic program will be held in New
Delhi using a multi-disciplinary approach involving
formal lectures, interviews, and discussions with
prominent scholars on different educational aspects.
In the field visit phase, participants will visit
Kolkata, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune, Ahmedabad, Jaipur
and Agra visiting schools, teacher training and other
institutions that specialize in the development and
implementation of curriculum. Activities will be
developed to allow the group to view the entire
process of curriculum developmentĀ—from creation to
implementation. The participants will also visit
places of historical and cultural interests in each
city.
     A special feature of the seminar will include
each seminar participant being paired with an Indian
counterpart who will aid in the creation and
implementation of the curriculum projects produced as
a result of the program.
  The seminar is designed to enrich participants'
knowledge by combining academic and cultural
experiences. Within the group's program, time will
also be allocated for participants to pursue their
individual academic interests and work on their
respective curriculum projects.

Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C.

1-202-215-4328 [Cell]