C-da,

This could be a good place to start though without followup action only
paperwork won't solve the issue. Ofcourse, making people literate and
self-aware is also a prong of the approach.

Things are happening in Assam. People are not clueless - we are humans not
viruses.

Umesh

 Dear Sirish -
    I copy the Friends of Assam and Seven Sisters (FASS) group, AID Guwahati
group and  Saito Basumatary of Lawyers for Rights - yes, what Ashish (I know
him since last year) is saying is true - in 2006, there were some 4000 RTI
applications in Assam. 50 were filed from Guwahati - the main city of the
entire North East and future gateway to South East Asia. Lumding filed some
1700 applications. I think Gharoa (his org) has been responsible for all of
this.

  Can we get Biju and Saito to talk? We are trying to get Arvind Kejriwal to go
to Guwahati/Shillong in 2nd week of Dec - Saito got in touch with him thanks to
Somu Kumar of Maryland. Through FASS (www.friendsofassam.org), we can help
support this initiatives as well.

  Friends - Sirish is an old friend - from Asha-for-education. He and  I met in
2000 - Sirish has been the driving force behind Asha-DC chapter - pulling it
through thick and thin. So a bit of his relentless spirit rubbed off on me as
well :-)

  Partha

"Sirish.in" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  Thanks I saw the website.

Below is a note from Mr Ashish Dey. I have asked him for contacts of
group in Lumding.
Sirish

ashish Dey hide details Oct 8 (3 days ago)

Dear Sirish,
The 1st ever RTI camp was held at Lumding in Assam during the
last Anti Bribery Campaign from 1st to 15th July 2006. During thsi
period record application were filed numbering 3700+ . Stil the
government could not even addressed the problems. Even the SIC have
failed to act as per the Act. I believe the largest campaign in  Assam
begun from Lumding. And still its spearheading with the movment.

Thanking ypu

Ashish Dey
Secretary
GHAROA

On 10/11/07, Partha Gogoi
wrote:
> sorry - the blog site is
> http://lawyersforrights.blogspot.com/
>
> NOT http://lawyerforrights.blogspot.com/
>
> "Sirish.in" wrote:
> Hi Partha, Sure collaboration will make the campaigns stronger. Yes,
> the contact is Biju.
>
> Do get them connected.
> Thanks,
> Sirish
>
> On 10/6/07, Partha Gogoi wrote:
> > Thank you, Sirish. I copy Saito Basumatary of Lawyers for Rights. Please
> > visit his site - they are a young group of lawyers committed to making RTI
> > act work and raise awareness.
> >
> > http://lawyerforrights.blogspot.com/
> >
> > Can we create some collaboration/synergy between LFR and  Asha's
> initiative?
> > I think it will only get stronger. Who is the point of contact? Biju?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Partha
> >
> > "Sirish.in" wrote:
> > Sorry it should be
> >
> > http://www.ashaparivar.org/cms/rtinews
> >

> > On 10/5/07, umesh sharma wrote:
> > > Hi Sirish,
> > >
> > > The link is dead.
> > > Is there another one?
> > > Regards.
> > >
> > > Umesh
> > >

> > > Sirish wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear Partha, Hope you are well.
> > >
> > > A detailed report of a RTI camp in Assam is at
> www.ashanet.org/cms/rtinews
> > >
> > > Feel free to forward.
> > > Sirish
> > >

> >  >