   From:    Priyankoo
   To: assam@assamnet.org
   Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2007 2:59    PM
   Subject: [Assam] Beware of thieves

One news item in Oxomiya Protidin caught my attention Cell    Phone Stolen by
Police
(http://www.asomiyapratidin.co.in/epaper/Web/Article/2007/11/01/010/01_11_2007_010_001.jpg
    ). I immediately started looking for some familiar names there, but with
no success. In 2006 August, when I was in Assam for my field work, my cell
phone got stolen. The connection provider CELLONE told me to go to the Dispur
 Police station and file a complaint. A very authoritative SI with the last
name "Borah" of Dispur police station gave me a long lecture on how callous we
  citizens are. He said, "We have so many stuff to do, do you think we have
time    to run around trying to retrieve your cell phone". Of course had no
expectations from the police department and filed the complaint just as a part
  of standard procedure of obtaining a replacement SIM card. Then this SI flips
   out two ultramodern  cell phones from his pocket and tells me "look I
have two of them, each
 costs 25000 rupees, but they never get stolen. How can    you be so careless
that your 3000 rupees worth cellphone got stolen." I    shrugged! That kept me
thinking, how can an SI of police afford 50000 rupees    worth of cellphones?
After reading the news in Protidin, I got an idea!!

I told my aunt in Guwahati about the incident and she said that's    nothing.
She had a hill stolen. Couple of years ago she bought a piece of land    near
Khetri with a hillock. She planned to build a house on the hill top. One
fine day she drove down her land to find that somebody stole her hillock! It
was leveled to the ground and it seems somebody sold the dirt for landfilling!
  She had to resell the land 'dirt' cheap!! I know of another guy who had a
pond    in his property and one morning somebody stole all the water from the
pond    including the fish!!

Priyankoo

--
http://priyankoo.com/blog