Dilip da

  I will hazard a suggestion. We can always add to the language. "ZOO" as
suggested by you and as supported by reasons is not necessarily a bad idea
(this expression is used by a professor friend and it leaves room for doubt
whether the idea was considered to be good or bad):-). POXU BHARAL is easy on
our Assamese tongues. By stream roller of analogy we may say POXUHALI (taking a
cue from GOHALI). By the way, Guwahati boasts of a restaurant called GOHALI.

Dilip/Dil Deka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  A true Nalboriya would say "Hahwr Baaha".
Regarding the word for zoo - there is no real Assamese word for it since zoos
didn't exist in Assam. Siriyakhana (sic?) was borrowed from Hindi. Is there any
harm in calling zoo, a zoo, in Assamese. We have assimilated words like
station, school, master, cup and glass into our language.
Dilip

mc mahant wrote:
In true Nalboriya:
HAHOR BAXA(Not Hanhor Baanh)
mm

> Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 20:12:57 -0800> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
> assam@assamnet.org> Subject: Re: [Assam] zoo> > That is correct.> Siriyakhana
> has been used for a long time. Is there a new one now?> Dilip Deka> > bg
> wrote:> CHIRIYAKHANA> > > > On Jan 20, 2008 9:14 AM, kamal deka wrote:> > >
> What is the correct Assamese word ( porivakha ) for " zoo " ?> > KJD> >

Uttam Kumar Borthakur