If I may, I think that one has the right to discuss about his ideas concerning
freedom, liberty etc. . An individual has the right to his own opinion. Only
thing is he does not have the right to snatch other's life and property or
freedom. Having said that, if someone has snatched his life or property, he may
as well have the right to defend himself against such crime and give vent to
his opinion. The only point to be discussed is whether in the context of a
factual matrix a particular action can be termed as crime or not. Do we
eulogise Bhagat Singh as a patriot or condemn him as a terrorist? Can we
support a government action to dispossess a big chunk of population from their
land and livelihood for the cause of big business and generation of paltry
employment? Judgment on such contentious issues will depend upon the relative
position and therefore, the outlook of the onlooker. A condemnation from a
particular quarter that has a vested interest does not clinch an issue in
 one way or the other. Even if Mr. Bordoloi has posed as Ruby Bhuyan or for
that matter anyone, it may be sedition from one point of view only, that of the
present Indian State, but we should also be aware of the fact that boundaries
of the states and countries keep on changing all over the world. There is
nothing sacrosanct about these things in so far as history is concerned. Prior
to the British there was Moghul empire, then British India, after that India
and Pakistan, then Bangladesh, then vanishing trick done by Sikkim, all these
are parts of history and therefore there can be no cut and dried principle to
decide the culpability of a person's action in such a milieu. It is always
contextual. My only point is whether Mr. Bordoloi or for that matter anyone
posing as Ruby Bhuyan or whatever, committed any crime towards other human
beings in the context of civilisation?

umesh sharma <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  C-da,

I may not be sure of the crime but it does appear that the ULFA newsletter is
written and published by Mr Bordoloi - who perhaps is the Ruby Bhuyan who is
supposed to send it to AssamNet etc.

Umesh

Chan Mahanta wrote:

I read and I was quite amused by desi-justice represented by whoever
made the following statements:

>Investigators claimed to have detected documents in the sent folder -----

*** That must therefore be unimpeachable proof , right? Question is
of WHAT? Does it prove that Lachit Bordoloi has been involved in
forgery? If so, WHO is making the complaint? Arabinda Rajkhowa, or
the Kolkata rag, or Kharkhowa police?

>was arrested last month on charges of helping Ulfa under the cover
>of being a mediator for peace.--

*** Wow! That must be an awful crime, since he would be unique. Or
would he? Anyone who has half a workinbg brain should be able to
figure that out. Or so I hope.

>The officer said there was also evidence of Bordoloi distributing
>Freedom, the Ulfa mouthpiece.

*** Heh-heh-heh! This is hilarious.

>A senior police officer said investigators were almost sure that
>Bordoloi "generated" the incriminating >documents. "These were found
>in the sent folder and not in the inbox, implying that Bordoloi had
>been >generating these documents. They did not come from Ulfa."

**** No wonder these guys can never get a conviction on anything.
Imagine 'almost sure ' as a proof presented in a court of law that is
slightly higher in the scale than a kangaroo variety and get a
conviction.

Further more, WHAT crime would it be to 'forge' an Arabinda Rajkhowa
document--since according to the 'almost sure' crowd they did not
come from ULFA ? It will be interesting to find out, won't it? Burt I
won't hold my breath.

>The officer said the police had built a strong case against
>Bordoloi, based on evidence and >confessions by people he was
>associated with.

*** Right! Those confessions must be very reliable. Like what earned
a death sentence for that Kashmiri-- (what's his name?) allegedly for
shooting up the Parliament building. Except that that world bore
down on India, seeing what a travesty that was. I don' t see anyone
clamoring for that speedy execution any more.

>Sources in the home department said more cases would be registered
>against Bordoloi to ensure that >he remained in custody.

*** Thats how desi-justice has always worked, hasn't it? Imprison
those -- mete out out punishment--on the sly, since they can't get
anyone convicted thru a system of ordinary justice.

>>"We have more explosive charges against Bordoloi and are looking
>>for evidence,"

*** Of course!

And assmnetters going ga-ga over it?

Shame on you .!

>- Police slap more charges on Bordoloi
A STAFF REPORTER

Lachit Bordoloi
Guwahati, March 2: Arrested rights activist and Ulfa-appointed
mediator Lachit Bordoloi had been emailing statements on the outfit's
behalf to the media with chairman Arabinda Rajkhowa's scanned
signature on them, police said today.
Investigators claimed to have detected documents in the sent folder
of Bordoloi's email account - they accessed it on his laptop - with
the Ulfa chairman's signature on them.
The People's Consultative Group member, also an adviser to the Manab
Adhikar Sangram Samiti, was arrested last month on charges of helping
Ulfa under the cover of being a mediator for peace. He is in judicial
custody.
A senior police officer said investigators were almost sure that
Bordoloi "generated" the incriminating documents. "These were found
in the sent folder and not in the inbox, implying that Bordoloi had
been generating these documents. They did not come from Ulfa."
What is not known is whether Rajkhowa authorised Bordoloi to use his
signature on documents meant to be circulated on Ulfa's behalf. The
police have registered a second case against him for abetting, aiding
and endorsing the views of a proscribed organisation.
The officer said there was also evidence of Bordoloi distributing
Freedom, the Ulfa mouthpiece. "All the evidence is there on his
laptop."
A police search of Bordoloi's Guwahati residence on February 9
yielded the laptop and some other materials. He was arrested two days
later in Moran, based on the confessions of two arrested Ulfa
militants.
Bordoloi was charged under the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act
with "having a role in collecting funds for Ulfa" and under sections
120B and 121 of the IPC for "waging war against the state".
The officer said the police had built a strong case against Bordoloi,
based on evidence and confessions by people he was associated with.
The MASS finance secretary, Judhajit Das, said in a Rangia court that
Bordoloi had asked him to help some Ulfa militants ferry arms and
explosives.
When Das declined, the arrested leader allegedly asked him to get in
touch with a MASS leader from Darrang who had agreed to do the job.
Sources in the home department said more cases would be registered
against Bordoloi to ensure that he remained in custody.
"We have more explosive charges against Bordoloi and are looking for
evidence," one of them said.

At 9:59 AM -0500 3/3/08, Ram Dhar wrote:
>pls read
>http://www.telegraphindia.com/1080303/jsp/northeast/story_8972344.jsp
>forum moderators may read this , 100s of us receive the same
>e-mail content coz we are subscribed to this forum....
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] my be held accountable for facilitating
>it as well ...............
>
> ..I could be wrong... I am all for free speech et al but just
>wondering how this scenario stands ......just a thought........

Umesh Sharma

Washington D.C.

1-202-215-4328 [Cell]

Ed.M. - International Education Policy