A news item in Pratidin makes a difficult reading. Less of facts, more of
opinions.
  But an item published on 31st March2008 is of concern. The prices of potato
have suddenly plummetted in Assam. Apparently it should indicate the positive
impact of withdrawal of Value Added Tax on food items. But it is not, because
of the simple reason that the prices of rice-cereals etc. have remained
sky-high.

  Then why this sudden drop in potato prices? Its answer can be found in the
huge production of potato in Barpeta district under the aegis of the Oxom
Unnati Sabha. In order to ensure that the Oxomiya farmers producing potato
incur loss and do not dare to cultivate it again successfully, the mainland
India trading lobby or the oligopoly or the cartel, by whatever name called,
has suddenly reduced the market prices of potato so that the reigning market
prices would not allow the local cultivators recover the input prices, let
alone make a profit. Moreover, storing in Assam is a bit difficult, because of
dearth of cold storage facility and lack of electricity to run the cold
storages effectively.

  Such things have been taking place in Assam for a number of years in respect
of tea, vegetables and now Potato. Some people may argue that let the market
forces rule, as in any free market system. But history of economics shows that
it is the trade barriers, subsidies and in short the protective policies of the
state that have allowed the economies of rich nations grow. So such advocates
actually are the spokespersons of the mighty, and in this case that of the
mainland India that uses Assam like a hinterland. Moreover, had it been a
fairplay, it would have been acceptable. But here is a design working to stifle
capital formation in Assam and the Indian State and its local lackeys are
helping such a design to succeed by its inaction or covert helping hand.

  I believe that we should do whatever we can to foil and expose such nefarious
designs. Yes, desecration of archeological relics is important issue to tackle.
But brazen economic loot is no less a question.

   I am also surprised that the outfits that want secession or sovereignty of
Assam, do not point out these injustices in everyday life and restrict
themselves to denouncing state atrocities, to which campaign people have become
desensitized to an extent, as it smacks of partisanship. The major problem with
these outfits are that they have failed to give anyone an alternative picture
or system, if they have one, to fire the imaginations of the people, who they
apparently want to win over.

Uttam Kumar Borthakur