http://picasaweb.google.com/rsarang22/SolarScreens

On our recent trip to Bangalore, I noticed a number of homes have solar
screens on their rooftops.

I took some photos of these ( I have never seen these at such close range).
One manufacturer is Tata BPSolar, but couldn't make out the other
manufacturer.

http://www.tatabpsolar.com/

In any case, upon enquiring, it seems these are primarily used as hot-water
heaters for showers. The costs have come down it seems and now range from
Rs. 15,000 to the 30s and 40s. I was able to take photos of 2 models.

Basically, from what I understand, one pipe brings in water from a
well/tubewell, it is then heated by the solar panels and another pipe stores
in a water tank for distribution when needed.

Some netters may probably know of some other use for these (other than just
making hotwater). I keep hearing (and reading elsewhere) that these can also
be used for and storing electricty.

Will and can they be useful in a village setting - say in Assam? Are they
common in India and they already being used in Assam?

--Ram