annual demand of 2.1 lakh MTs and the State is importing fish worth Rs 100 crore
annually from other states of the country, said Fisheries Minister Nurjamal
Sarkar in reply to a question of Ananta Deka (CPI-M).

My teacher Late Bapu Krishna Choudhury maintained that I was pretty weak in
Math. But the State Government bureaucrats seem to excel me. I do not know
their Xubhongkori. But it quite baffles me.

Annual Demand= 2.1 lakh MT
Production       = 1.9 lakh MT
Shortfall           = 0.2 lakh MT

0.2 lakh = 20000 MT = 20000000 kg

The sale price varies from Rs.100 to Rs.300 for the imported variety
The cost should be half say Rs.50 to Rs.150
Average is Rs.100 (say)
In fact it should be less, as the Mode demand is for the Salani Rou and not the
Pabha or Chital.

20000000  x Rs.100 = Rs.20000000 x 100 = Rs.2000000000/- i.e. Rs.200 crores

The import cost is Rs.100 crores, as admitted by the Minister.

Therefore, the profit on Rs.100 crore is another Rs.100 crore.

This is not business profit, it is windfall at the expense of the people of
Assam.

Most interesting, what the Govt is investing to stem the rot is mere pittance.
If someone can make Rs100 crore profit by trading a good worth Rs.100 crore,
why should one go for the harder way by investing in a stock that remains under
water?

I was witness to a statement made by the  the legend that is Late Kshiroda
Kanta Bishyoa. A taxman was pestering him about the profit that has not been
accounted for by not taking into account opening and closing stock of the
business. He asked the taxman to go and do it for himself under water by diving
into the Gauranga Beel:-)

Uttam Kumar Borthakur