Boko pineapples to hit Germany markets
Surajit Khaund
 GUWAHATI, Aug 6 – Pineapples cultivated in the bordering areas of Boko in
Kamrup district will soon hit the German markets. The first consignment
comprising 20 MT has been sent to Mumbai today from which it will be sent to
Germany. For the first time, pineapples of Boko will be available in the
European markets.

Sresta Natural Products Private Limited, a Hyderabad-based company has come
forward to market the products of Boko in which over 500 farmers cultivate
pineapple to earn their livelihood.

“We have sent the first consignment of organic pineapples from Assam. The
farmers do not use any chemical and pesticide and hence we have purchased their
products,” D Borgohain of Sresta Natural Products Private Limited told this
correspondent today. He further said that the consignment had been sent to
Mumbai and then it would be transshipped to Germany.

In Assam, the overall pineapple production is around 5 lakh tonne per annum, of
which 70 per cent are consumed locally and the rest generally sent to the
neighbouring States. Most of the pineapples are cultivated in Tinsukia, Karbi
Anglong and Boko areas of the State. What is more significant is that
pineapples produced in the State are generally organic as the farmers do not
use fertilizers.

Providing more information on the new export deal, Borgohain informed that the
demand for organic pineapples in Germany was very high. “They have placed an
order of 300MT of which we will be able to meet 100 MT only. We have sent
canned pineapple cubes in the first consignment. This is only the beginning,
and we will be sending more in the next consignments,” he added.

Replying to a question about the problems encountered during procurement of
pineapples from farmers, he said that they (farmers) required trainings on
cultivation and harvesting. “We had to bring labourers from Bihar for cutting
and peeling as it requires extra care for any export consignment. But, we have
decided to provide trainings to the local farmers in this regard. Moreover, the
infrastructure needs to be upgraded considering the potential of export,” he
added.

(The Assam Tribune,Thursday, August 07, 2008 )

      Share files, take polls, and make new friends - all under one roof. Go to
http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups/