C'da,

>**** WHO is this AUTHORITY that holds the right to GRANT or DENY autonomy
Ram?
>Where did it get such rights from?

I do understand your consternation, but, if one were to apply, request,
demand autonomy, where or whom do they approach?

In India, I think it would be Dilli.

Now, you can argue about this philosophically, and question this authority.
And I understand that too.

But, the fact of the matter is it the Center that has to be approached,
whether one likes it or not. It is the Center,
in it's infinite wisdom, that ultimately decides such matters.

>**** It is NOT a REWARD Ram. To have good, effective, responsive and honest
governance is a FUNDAMENTAL
>right.

OK, I grant you that. So, will an autonomy resolve that problem?

>*** They are DEPENDANT today NOT by their choice. It is because Dilli has
slowly but surely
>accumulated all the powers, and the most important of all, the
purse-strings. It controls the disbursement
>of the funds like the powerful head of a Zamindary might, holding control
over his clan.  And thus has robbed
>generations of Indians of the notion that THEY ought to be responsible for
their own finances. And when
>SOME remote authority sends them out as gifts of their kindness, there
cannot be any clamor for accountability.
>Who cares, it is Dilli's money after all?

Ugh! I had to read this over a couple of times - then I realized, you are
actually making a case
why it is NOT the fault of the State (like Assam) when funds sent from the
center are misappropriated at will.

It may be Dilli's money, but they did send it for the betterment of people
in that state - not just for some ministers in the GOA.

>If the funds that are stolen from Assam's coffer, came from taxes paid by
the people of Assam, they will be
>far more apt to know WHERE those funds are going and WHAT they are getting
in return.

Then what about the municipality taxes, the GOA taxes, sales tax. Those are
taxes levied by a local authority on the local population.
So what is it that they get in return.

C'da, this is one of the lamest excuses you have come up with. :-)

>*** And WHO is this CENTER who holds the rights over who it shall give
autonomy, who independence or who
>the status of its colonies?  Who gave it those rights?

OK - then why, oh why are all these 'demands' for autonomy. Why don't these
entities just
declare themselves autonomous or independent, and go about their merry way?

--Ram