The Sentinel

Guwahati, Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Controversy over Srimanta Shankardeva’s birth anniversary

By our Staff Reporter
GUWAHATI, Oct 4: Members of various cultural bodies have taken a serious
objection to the decision of the Axom Xahitya Xabha UK (ASSUK) of celebrating
the 562nd birth anniversary of Srimanta Shankardeva on October 9 instead of
October 17. They have termed it as “disrespect to the Mahapurush.”

Former president of the Axom Xahitya Mahasabha, Bhadrakrishna Goswami
said,“Srimanta Shankardeva’s birth anniversary should be observed on October 17
or maybe at a later date. How can a prestigious organization like the Axom
Xahitya Xabha take the decision of celebrating the birth anniversary of the
Mahapurush before October 17? This is showing disrespect to the Guru.”

Echoing similar views Samanwita Yuba Tirtha general secretary Dibyajyoti Saikia
said,“Just Guru Nanak’s birth aniversary is celebrated on a particular date
throughout the world, Srimanta Shankardeva’s birth anniversary should also be
celebrated on one day throughout the globe.”

Axom Xatra Xabha general secretary Paramanand Rajbongshi said, “We are aware of
the decision of our UK unit to celebrate Srimanta Shankardeva’s birth
anniversary on October 9. We have directed them not to do so.”

Website:
http://www.sentinelassam.com/ghy_city/story.php?sec=2&subsec=4&id=49621&dtP=2010-10-05&ppr=1#49621

Rini Kakati