http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/509803.html

quote from the article -

"He is  India's first modern sports star, a combination of Babe Ruth, Muhammad
Ali and Michael Jordan, because his rise mirrored a nation's economic rise, and
he forever changed sports celebrity and marketing in India."

"Sachin hits a four.
He's done it. A century. I've never been in a stadium that feels like this one.
Hindus and Muslims, Sikhs and Christians, people from different castes and
classes, speakers of a dozen languages, all citizens in the Republic of Sachin.
The stern cops give wide smiles and thumbs-ups. The chant goes from "Sachin!
Sachin!" to "Hoo… ha… IN-DI-A!" They are interchangeable. "

"His agent told me he's aware of what he means to people, of the symbolic
importance of being both the beginning and end of something. He is a bridge,
and it is vital to the psyche of a nation that he remains intact. He gets it.
That's why he never loses focus. Nothing, it turns out, is effortless."

"Sachin's name is lost in the cheers. The crowd roars even in anticipation of
it."