Hi C'da,

I really like Joseph's writing style, and can actually agree with a lot he
says.

On some things, I am conflicted:

'Nobody loves India like the Indian who does not live here anymore.'
Actually the opposite is also true Nobody hates India.... in some cases.

But what Joseph and others miss is that there are some people (NRI/NRAs) who
really do emotionally, and sincerely
invest interests in India (or Assam). I believe that there is such a
section. I may actually completely disagree with their views,
but do admire their sincerity.

I do agree with the basic problems with many Indians. They do not want to
see the problems, and many think India has arrived.
But that is not a national indictment. There is that resentment and push
back, when NRIs point it out. Maybe it is a natural reaction.

There is hubris, where none need exist. Corruption and scandals are too
everyday, to galvanize the country into action.

About software etc - I don't think the world measures expertise by the
number of licenses held in India.
But most people know that a lot of development is done in India.... he makes
it sound like it's just call centers manned by Indians with poor accents.

His comparison of India to Pakistan is really laughable. Pakistan is a
country that is barely trying to remain as one. Its a country in turmoil at
best.

I like Pankaj Mishra's writings.

Here is an interview with Mishra (2007) -- pretty good.

http://www.believermag.com/issues/200703/?read=interview_mishra

--Ram