C'da,

I know Alpana uses ICICI quite often.

Sometime last year we sent a check to a charity based in Assam and Delhi.
Oh, boy, did ICICI give us the runaround.

The first thing they did was to promptly debit the amount from our account
here. But they did not credit the charity, but instead kept the amount as
'withheld' or something.
They wanted a copy of the Passport (relevant pages), and some other details.
We felt very uncomfortable with that process. We faxed the passport copy  -
they didn't receive it, and again, and again.

The thing is they lost it the darn copy. The charity administrator was in
Delhi, and had to personally go several times to the ICICI branch to get
this resolved.

All this, in spite of the fact that we have an account in ICICI, and so does
the charity.

I promised myself not to get into this headache of gifting by checks -
unless you go there personally and give cash maybe..

But, it is not just ICICI. The State Bank of India has similar problems.
When we approached them at their Chennai branch, the lady was very
efficient, got us the money etc fast. She wanted to know, why we are not
depositing/using the account more frequently. I told her their online
banking does not work. She got into a huff, and told me NRIs don't know what
they are talking. She gave me new passcodes, and promised me it would work
like a charm.

Well, we came back, and tried, and tried... till I started thinking, it
really must be me. Later on, come to find out that it works SBI to SBI  -
and I must have a SBI account in the US.
This was a few years ago... maybe things have changed, but I don't have the
patience nor the inclination.

--Ram