We are proud to be a host country for London 2012 Olympic from 27 July to 12
August, 2012 and welcome back the Olympics after 64 years. As I live in this
part of London, my excitement is Wembley and Borough of Brent plays its part by
providing host venues for football, badminton and rhythmic gymnastics. Olympic
Veldrome for Britain's cycling and sprinter is the first London 2012 venue has
already finished. This will be third time for London Olympic games having
previously done so in 1908 and in 1948.

As London is a multicultural society the logo of the Olympic itself will prove
that it is for everyone regardless of age, culture and language design to be
populated to contain infills and images. And it is recognizable enough for
everyone to feel and be part of London 2012. We will be keeping our Asian
identity as part of its cultural event.

The emblem shows that the Games is more than London more than sport. That is
why it is containing neither sporting images nor pictures of London landmarks.

The Londoners are eagerly waiting to see the dream come true since London was
elected as the best venue on 6th July, 2005, during 117th IOC (International
Olympic Committee) session in Singapore defeating Moscow, New York, Madrid and
Paris. Good effort and well done Lord Sebastian Coe !

I still remember the day when we all glued to the television watching the four
rounds of voting and celebrated after the result. The feeling was same for us
when India was selected to hold the Commonwealth Games in the year 2010.

My usual work route to Snarebrook every other day I pass Stratford station I
can see the Olympic stadium is under construction and makes me wonder how
depressing and derelict this part of East London is now changing. I notice
straightaway the triangles and it being illuminated. Which on the same train
journey, I see Canary Wharf and flashing triangle light as well.

The Stratford International train station has been built to serve those coming
to the 2012 London Olympics. The London Olympic Athletes Village, (which will
be the subject of a future post) is now under construction immediately adjacent
to the station and visible from its gleaming and relatively vacant lobby. World
biggest McDonald's is to open at the Olympic park.

Last Monday, to my surprise I met a gentleman in the train sitting opposite to
me reading morning newspaper. He simply greeted to me "Good Morning" I said
"Morning" wondering for a moment the face seems familiar although I was not so
sure as his cap covered half way down. The gentleman was Mr. Boris Johnson,
Mayor of London. I congratulate him and look forward to Britain being provided
with some much - needed cheer next summer. He asked me if I am coming to see
the Olympic site. When I mention to him that it must be hard work he says its
costing billions - money that, had we known about the recession back in 2005,
might have been spent more wisely.

The ceremonial event, where people from all walks of life carry the Olympic
torch across the host country is particulary symbolic to those who began the
Olympic tradition. The Olympic flame arrive from Greece at the Olympic stadium
in Stratford East London for the opening ceremony of the games on July 27,
2012. It will tour all around the country, and also have a British sporting
history element to it - so the torch will be run past many of those famous
sporting venues such as Wimbledon, Old Trafford -(stadium of Manchester United)
, St. Andrew's. We welcome the decision of the organisers that - Daley
Thompson, a former decathele from England is to light the Olympic flame at the
opening ceremony.

Councillors, Community Leaders, MPs and Peers are all working together at the
City Hall ( Mayor's office) for the finishing touches of this historical event.

We wish the London 2012 Olympics will be a great success and it delivers a
regeneration and sporting legacy worth every penny of Britain's £9.3billion
investment.

Pictures:

Rini Kakati