BK:

I don't know about Assam Govt's. activity now, but years ago, in the sixties,
possibly with UN funds, there was
a widespread and quite successful, if I might add, move to train rural folks in
Assam in beekeeping. The hive boxes
and extraction equipment were sold by the Khadi-Gramodyog department at
subsidized rates and a lot of people
got involved. Trained people went door to door, extolling the virtues of
bee-keeping and recruiting new keepers.
Our father and my two younger brothers too were into it. They produced quite a
bit of honey. Our father,
who took it quite seriously, even planted nectar producing shrubs that bloom in
winter, when there was no other source of forage
for the bees. Sugar was rationed and expensive to make syrup to feed bees. So
the specialized plants.
I was away at boarding school at the time, so did not  any hands-on experience.
But I learned enough
to be dangerous and the desire to get into it never left me. Decades ago, after
we bought our first home in St. Louis
I almost got into it, but demands of time and money ( it is a fairly expensive
hobby here in the USA to get
started with) prevented me from taking it up. Finally  took the plunge last
year and started with two hives in April
2010. The first months and the year was turbulent, to say the least. I had a
workers' revolution in one of my hives
and I lost it. But it was early enough in the season for me to replace the bees
and a queen and they overwintered successfully
with two decent hives. In April this year, I split the stronger into two, as
measure to prevent swarming and by June all three of my
hives were producing honey. We did better than my wildest expectations and
harvested a total of 327 pounds ( a tad bit more
than 27 gallons or 113 litres ). My mentor, the president of our bee-club,
which has over two hundred members, tells me
we harvested much above average, thanks to the abundance of trees and nectar
producing plants in our neighborhood.

People at Guahati can easily keep bees and raise a lot of honey. Those who have
access to rooftops are particularly well
suited for the undertaking. But everything productive and successful require
dedication and effort. Bee-keeping requires
quite a bit of it. It is  NOT something you start and let nature take its
course.  Those who take the latter approach usually
end up contributing to the demise of thousands of bees not to mention acquiring
of a sense of failure.

Recently, I was pleased to see that in my native village, there are still a
couple of beekeepers. But there could be many more.