This past June, The New York Times had an interesting column on 'Philosophy
as an Art of Dying'.

The column goes into the issue of paradoxical situations that arise where
philosophers (and ordinary folks) are sometimes faced with.
Philosophies, principles, politics and religion on one side, and the realism
of certain death (like execution, self-immolation, mob fury, etc) on the
other. How exactly do people approach the finality of death and holding on
to their beliefs
& principles in those final moments..

The author gives some great examples from Socrates, and Hypatia,  to Sir
Thomas More, the Tudor Statesman.

India too has her own sets of philosophers, activists and leaders who
are/were willing to lay down their lives for a cause.

And then, I came upon this interesting piece of news from the Times of India
about Anna Hazare's fasting and his views of death (and philosophy). Here's
a small portion is quoted below:

"Hours later, Hazare told his supporters: "I told him then that I would
decide by 10pm after listening to my conscience. My conscience asked me why
are you afraid of dying. You had earlier said that you are not afraid of
dying, then why are you scared of dying now."

"I have decided not to take any medicine. I would ask Dr Trehan and others
not to mistake me in this regard.

Please do not mistake me for (not taking the medicine)," he
said............"

What do netters think?

--Ram

______________________

Below is the NYT column

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/philosophy-as-an-art-of-dying/

June 12, 2011, *5:35 pm*
Philosophy as an Art of Dying By COSTICA
BRADATAN<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/author/costica-bradatan/>

The Stone <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/the-stone/> is a
forum for contemporary philosophers on issues both timely and timeless.
 Tags:

death <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/death/>, death
sentences<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/death-sentences/>,
Hypatia <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/hypatia/>, Jan
Patočka<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/jan-patocka/>,
martyrdom <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/martyrdom/>,
Philosophy<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/philosophy/>,
Plato <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/plato/>,
Socrates<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/socrates/>,
Thomas More <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/thomas-more/>,
Tunisia<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/tag/tunisia/>

It happens rarely, but when it does it causes a commotion of great
proportions; it attracts the attention of all, becomes a popular topic for
discussion and debate in marketplaces and taverns. It drives people to take
sides, quarrel and fight, which for things philosophical is quite
remarkable. It happened to Socrates, Hypatia, Thomas More, Giordano Bruno,
Jan Patočka, and a few others. Due to an irrevocable death sentence,
imminent mob execution or torture to death, these philosophers found
themselves in the most paradoxical of situations: lovers of logic and
rational argumentation, silenced by brute force; professional makers of
discourses, banned from using the word; masters of debate and contradiction,
able to argue no more. What was left of these philosophers then? Just their
silence, their sheer physical presence. The only means of expression left to
them, their own bodies — and dying bodies at that.

Tell me how you deal with your fear of annihilation, and I will tell you
about your philosophy.

 The situation has its irony. It is an old custom among philosophers of
various stripes and persuasions to display a certain contempt toward the
body. Traditionally, in Western philosophy at least, the body has been with
few exceptions seen as inferior to the mind, spirit or soul — the realm of
“the flesh,” the domain of the incomprehensible, of blind instincts and
unclean impulses. And so here are the condemned philosophers: speechless,
with only their dying bodies to express themselves. One may quip that the
body has finally got its chance to take its revenge on the philosophers.

But how have they arrived there in the first place? It so happens that some
philosophers entertain and profess certain ideas that compel them to lead a
certain way of life. Sometimes, however, their way of life leads them to a
situation where they have to choose between remaining faithful to their
ideas or renouncing them altogether. The former translates into “dying for
idea,” whereas the latter usually involves not only a denunciation of that
philosopher’s lifestyle, but also, implicitly, an invalidation of the
philosophical views that inspired that way of life. This seems to be the
toughest of choices. In simpler terms, it boils down to the following
dilemma: if you decide to remain faithful to your views, you will be no
more. Your own death will be your last opportunity to put your ideas into
practice. On the other hand, if you choose to “betray” your ideas (and
perhaps yourself as well), you remain alive, but with no beliefs to live by.

The situation of the philosopher facing such a choice is what is commonly
called a “limit-situation.” Yet, this limit does not concern only the
philosopher involved; in an important sense, this is the limit of philosophy
itself, a threshold where philosophy encounters its other (whatever
philosophy *is not*) and, in the process, is put to the test.

Long before he was faced with such a choice through the good offices of the
Czechoslovakian political police in 1977, Jan Patočka may have intuited this
limit when he said that “philosophy reaches a point where it no longer
suffices to pose questions and answer them, both with extreme energy; where
the philosopher will progress no further unless he manages to make a
decision.’’
[1]<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/philosophy-as-an-art-of-dying/#ftn1>Whatever
that decision may mean in other contexts, the implication of
Patočka’s notion for this discussion is unambiguous. There is a point beyond
which philosophy, if it is not to lose face, must turn into something else:
*performance*. It has to pass a test in a foreign land, a territory that’s
not its own. For the ultimate testing of our philosophy takes place not in
the sphere of strictly rational procedures (writing, teaching, lecturing),
but elsewhere: in the fierce confrontation with death of the animal that we
are. The worthiness of one’s philosophy reveals itself, if anywhere, in the
live performance of one’s encounter with one’s own death; that’s how we find
out whether it is of some substance or it is all futility. Tell me how you
deal with your fear of annihilation, and I will tell you about your
philosophy.

Furthermore, death is such a terrifying event, and the fear of it so
universal, that *to invite *it* *by way of faithfulness to one’s ideas is
something that fascinates and disturbs at the same time. Those who do so
take on an aura of uncanny election, of almost un-human distinction; all
stand in awe in before them. With it also comes a certain form of power.
This is why, for example, one’s self-immolation (meant as political protest)
can have devastating social and political effects, as we saw recently in
Tunisia, when 26-year-old Mohammad Bouazizi set himself on fire. This is
also why the death of those philosophers who choose to die for an idea comes
soon to be seen as an essential part of their work. In fact their deaths
often become far more important than their lives. Why is Socrates such an
important and influential figure? Mostly because of the manner and
circumstances of his death. He may have never written a book, but he crafted
one of the most famous endings of all time: his own. Any philosophical text
would pale in comparison. Nor have Hypatia’s writings survived; yet, the
exquisite, if passive performance of her death in the early fifth century
has not ceased to fascinate us. A modern scholar, Maria Dzielska, recounts
how, at the instigation of the patriarch Cyril (later sanctified by the
Church), some of the zealous Christians of Alexandria helped her to join the
Socratic tradition of dying:

[A] mob executed the deed on a day in March 415, in the tenth consulship of
Honorius and the sixth consulship of Theodosius II, during Lent. Hypatia was
returning home… from her customary ride in the city. She was pulled out of
the chariot and dragged to the church Caesarion … There they tore off her
clothes and killed her with “broken pits of pottery”… Then they hauled her
body outside the city to a place called Kinaron, to burn it on a pyre of
sticks.[2]<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/philosophy-as-an-art-of-dying/#ftn2>

One of the accounts of Giordano Bruno’s death is particularly eloquent. A
chronicle of the time (Avviso di Roma, 19 February, 1600) reads: “On Friday
they burned alive in Campo di Fiore that Dominican brother of Nola, a
persistent heretic; his tongue was immobilized [con la lingua in giova]
because of the terrible things he was saying, unwilling to listen either to
his comforters or to anybody else.”
[3]<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/12/philosophy-as-an-art-of-dying/#ftn3>

*Con la lingua in giova!* There is hardly a better illustration of what
“silencing an opponent” can mean. I don’t really have anything against the
Holy Office, except maybe that sometimes they have a tendency to take things
a bit too literally.
 Related More From The
Stone<http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/category/the-stone/>

Read previous contributions to this series.

“Dying for an idea” in this fashion is, admittedly, a rare occurrence. Thank
goodness, philosophers are not put to death on a regular basis. I hasten to
add, however: as rare as it may be, the situation is *not *hypothetical.
These things have happened, and will happen again. In a certain sense, the
possibility of one’s dying *in relation to* one’s thinking lies at the heart
of the Western definition of philosophy. When Plato’s Socrates states in the
Phaedo* *that philosophy is *meletē thanatou* — that is to say, an intense
practice of death — he may mean not just that the object of philosophy
should be to help us better cope with our mortality, but also that the one
who practices philosophy should understand the risks that come with the job.
After all, this definition of philosophy comes from someone condemned to
death for the ideas he expressed, only few hours away from his execution.
The lesson? Perhaps that to be a philosopher means more than just being
ready to “suffer” death, to accept it passively at some indefinite point in
time; it may also require one to *provoke his own death*, to meet it somehow
mid-way. That’s mastering death. Philosophy has sometimes been understood as
“an art of living,” and rightly so. But there are good reasons to believe
that philosophy can be an “art of dying” as well.
------------------------------

“Dying for an idea” is the stuff of martyrdom — “philosophic martyrdom.” For
martyrdom to be possible, however, one’s death, spectacular as it may be, is
not enough. Dying is just half of the job; the other half is weaving a good
narrative of martyrdom and finding an audience for it. A philosopher’s death
would be in vain without the right narrator, as well as the guilty
conscience of a receptive audience. A sense of collective guilt can do
wonders for a narrative of martyrdom about to emerge. I have written
elsewhere <http://www.dissentmagazine.org/online.php?id=479> about the
importance of story-telling and collective memory for the construction of
political martyrdom. Much of the same goes for philosopher-martyrs. In a
certain sense, they cease to be people in flesh and blood and are recast
into literary characters of sorts; their stories, if they are to be
effective, have to follow certain rules, fit into a certain genre, respond
to certain needs. Certainly, there are the historians who always seek to
establish “the facts.” Yet — leaving aside that history writing, as Hayden
White showed long time ago, is itself a form of literature — inconvenient
“facts” rarely manage to challenge the narratives that dominate popular
consciousness.

Enlightenment writers, and then the feminist scholarship of the 20th
century, have played a major role in the “making” of Hypatia the
philosopher-martyr. Countless anti-clerical writers and public intellectuals
have done the same for Bruno, as has Václav Havel for Patočka. Yet, the most
influential martyr-maker is by far Plato. Not only did he make Socrates into
the archetypal philosopher-martyr, he practically invented the genre. In
Plato’s rendering of Socrates’ case, we have almost all the ingredients of
any good narrative of martyrdom: a protagonist who, because of his
commitment to a life of virtue and wisdom-seeking, antagonizes his
community; his readiness to die for his philosophy rather than accept the
dictates of a misguided crowd; a hostile political environment marked by
intolerance and narrow-mindedness; a situation of crisis escalating into a
chain of dramatic events; the climax in the form of a public trial and the
confrontation with the frenzied crowd; and finally the heroic, if unjust,
death of the hero, followed by his apotheosis.

Beyond this, Plato’s writings have apparently shaped the actual behavior of
people facing a choice similar to Socrates’. When Thomas More, for example,
shortly before losing his head, said “I die the King’s good servant, but
God’s first,” he was making an obvious reference to Socrates’ words during
his trial, as rendered in this passage from the Apology: “Gentlemen, I am
your very grateful and devoted servant, but I owe a greater obedience to God
than to you.”

These philosophers — they cannot even die without giving proper scholarly
references! Just as he was saying this More must have had a sudden glimpse
that what he was about to do was not as real as he would have liked it to
be; as though something “unreal” — the world of fiction, the books he had
read — had now crept into his own act of dying. Certainly, dying itself is a
brutally real experience, maybe the most brutal of all. And, yet, I am
afraid More was right: dying for an idea never comes in pure form. It is
always part reality, part fiction (in an undisclosed proportion). Like most
things in life.

*FOOTNOTES*

*[1] Cited by Eda Kriseová. “Václav Havel.” Trans. Caleb Crain (New York: St
Martin’s Press, 1993), p. 108.*

*[2] Dzielska, Maria. “Hypatia of Alexandria.” Trans. F. Lyra (Cambridge,
MA: Harvard University Press, 1995), p. 93.*

*[3] Firpo, Luigi. “Il Processo di Giordano Bruno” (Salermo Editrice: Roma,
1998), p. 355-6*