Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 13:02:36 +0000
Subject: Tribute to dear Bhupenda from his younger brother Prabin Hazarika
From: hazarika.tri...@gmail.com
To: rinikak...@hotmail.com

Hi Rini

I am also sending you my tribute to  Bhupenda in English for you to read at the
Shrandhanjali programme on Friday 18, November,2011 at Nehru Centre.

Love

Trisha and Prabin
As a younger brother of Bhupenda, I have been listening and watching from UK
the whole event from various media sources on his sudden departure from this
world.  I have been planning to visit him ever since I heard that he was not
keeping well.  Unfortunately, due to ill health I could not visit him.  But I
have been keeping in touch with him over the phone regularly.

During this time we had interesting conversations on various aspects of life
and listened to his comments on the ever changing cultural scene in India.  We
spoke about my book of Assamese and Bengali poems which I had dedicated to him.
 He congratulated me on these two books.  The last time I spoke to him was on
his 85th Birthday on 8th September when I wished him a Happy Birthday.  He
responded with a faint reply saying, "thank you".  Out of all the happy
memories I have of him, this last one will be the most cherished one for me
which I will always remember.

To a grief-stricken mind only fond memories remain.  We count our blessings
that as his brothers and sisters we had the opportunity to play with him in our
childhood, were inspired by his exuberance of creativity in his youth, touched
by his love, affection and guidance in our formative years as did our late
father Nilakanta and Ma Shantipriya.  In 1978 he visited us in Cambridge and
stayed with us for a few days.  He visited us again in Leicester when he came
in 1999  and 2000.  During this time he met some of our friends and we all have
fond memories of our time with him.

I have been away from the country since 1955 when I left to work in Uganda,
East Africa.  And during his early creative years I feel sad that I was not
with him.  But I was able to visit Assam frequently and catch up with his
creative work.

It is autumn now - leaves have changed colours.  Winter is approaching and the
leaves will fall off the trees.  During the wintry nights in Assam, the dews
will weep for him.  In our autumnal years of our life, our thoughts will remain
awake with the fond memories of Bhupenda  which will inspire us to strive and
smile with hope.

Today on this auspicious day of Bhupenda's 'shradha' on behalf of my family, my
wife Trisha Harbans Kaur, son Luit, daughter-in-law Veanna, daughter Vipasha,
son-in-law Nicholas and their two children Kai and Nyah and my brothers and
sisters and their families, I would like to offer our sincere gratitude to the
people of all Assam for showering so much love and affection to Bhupenda.  I
would also like to thank the Government of Assam, the Chief Minister Shrijut
Tarun Gogoi, all dignitaries who attended the funeral and sent messages from
different parts of the country, the police force and the organisers of the
whole event.

Bhupenda will be remembered for his songs on humanity, love and peace.  Let us
celebrate his life and work together to preserve his creations and fulfil his
dreams to bring the whole country together.

                                                           May his soul rest in
eternal peace.

Prabin HazarikaLeicester
United Kingdom