Dear Friends:

I am very much surprised to find an “Advertising Supplement” to today’s (20 12 2011) International Herald Tribune. It is published with the caution:This supplement, prepared by China Daily, Peoples’ Republic of China, did not involve the news or editorial departments of the International Herald Tribune.

My comment: It has nothing to do with advertisement since it does not exhort to buy anything. It is only informative about various developmental activities and culture. I give you an idea of what the supplement contains as it may not be available in the internet. Of course those who live in the cities could easily obtain today’s copy of the IHT either from the newsstands or find it the public library.

The 1st article: ‘Jade craze takes hold’. The caption under the first picture says :The price of fine nephrite, which is natural stone, has climbed from 10,000 yuan ($1,577) a kilogram to at least 1 million yuan in 10 years. Top-grade art work in Hotan jade is now priceless.

2nd article: Huge investments to boost region’s (Xinjiang/Urumqi) prosperity.

3rd article: booming border post connects East andWest

4th article: This is actually a cluster of ecology-related topics: Region set for 11b in green energy, Quest for greener farming, Five year ban on grazing to protect grassland.

5th article: Irrigation in Xinjiang desert to go solar. 436 square-kilometer shelter forest to be irrigated in shifting sand desert (to be completed by 2014). [This article cerainly
interested me most].

The rest of the supplement is devoted to culture. Let me mention them:

1.      Chasing soccer stardom
2.      Sweet home away from home
3.      Streets of Kashgar (a desert region) peopled by Uygur children
4. Best of the barbecues:Little lamb who made thee?:A tasty bread for the ages
5.      From bloom to boom (Lavender production)
6.      Silk road to welcome world’s tourists

All the eight pages of the supplement are profusely illustrated. I found it
factual and innocuous.

-bhuban