Dear Friends:

I like barfi. And I have noticed that the Assamese children as well grown-up women these days have jaris (silver threads etc} in their clothes.Is it a subtle change of culture? Till I read the above article I always regarded them as tinsels.I thought they were cheap. Now I know they are made from pure silver and costly. For 150 sheets of silver foil, confectioners have to pay about $8.50.Please read what Jo Winterbottom says in the International Herald Tribune today(05.01 2012).

This subject has been discussed in other journals as well'

http://www.livemint.com/2012/01/04151922/Indians-innovate-to-keep-a-shi.html?h=A1

-bhuban

http://www.livemint.com/2012/01/04151922/Indians-innovate-to-keep-a-shi.html?h=A1