Dear Friends:

Today (8 1 2012) New York Times presents the Bharat edition of Newswallah covering 11 States including Assam. Says the State Govt has put upper Assam in high alert after intelligence reports that militants may target oil companies' employees as well as politicians.

In the Opinion columns, Daniel A Bell, a Professor teaching in China, opens our eyes to What China Can Teach Europe.

I liked the article very much. It appears China has made real efforts to bring down the inequalities between village and town. Yesterday Eastern Chronicle quoted Prof Amartya Sen saying that India is far behind some other countries of South-East Asia where the quality of life (social care) is better than that of India which statistically has higher national growth than those countries.

-bhuban
.