Dr Bora releases book on Sankar Sangha
Staff Reporter
 GUWAHATI, Jan 30 – Author and former president of Asam Sahitya Sabha, Dr
Lakshminandan Bora today said that the Assamese society – the intellectuals in
particular -- failed in establishing Srimanta Sankardev in the global arena.
Dr Bora who was formally releasing a book, Pathabhrasta Hoise Neki Sankar
Sangha by Mayur Bora at the Guwahati Press Club, also felt that a mass
organization like Sankar Sangha had fallen far short of realizing its potential
in the spheres of social, cultural, spiritual and academic uplift of the State
and its people.
“Sankar Sangha is a great force with some 30 lakh members but its social,
cultural and academic impact as also its role in acquainting the outside world
with the genius of Sankardev has not been what one would have expected from
such a huge organisation,” Dr Bora said.
Dr Bora said that divisive tendencies gripped the followers of Sankardev
as was evident from the many organizations set up supposedly to expand
his legacy but often plagued by clash of interests.
“Sankardev
stood for a composite Assamese identity. We, particularly the many
organizations set up after him, only need to ask ourselves whether we
are following his ideals,” he added.
Author Dr Sivanath Barman who was a distinguished guest on the occasion lauded
the book as “a bold
step in constructive criticism” which the Sangha would do well to heed and
rectify its lapses and weaknesses.
Urging the Sangha to shed its narrow outlook and agenda and carry forward the
15th-century saint-reformer’s ideals beyond the confines of the
naamghar, Dr Barman said that it should take a leaf out of the
functioning of organizations like Ramakrishna Mission which had been
engaged in commendable socio-economic, cultural and literary pursuits
benefitting communities.
Senior journalist Ajit Bhuyan who was the other distinguished guest, in his
address, lauded the author for coming up with an “exceptional work that
has raised many crucial issues concerning the Sangha’s objectives and
functioning”.
Bhuyan said that there had not been adequate evaluation of Sankardev, and the
need of the hour was to assess his contributions as a great reformer,
author and artiste apart from his identity as a religious preacher.
The author, Mayur Bora dwelt on what he felt were the emerging challenges
before Sankar Sangha at a time when the Assamese society was at a crossroads.
“As a well-wisher of the Sangha and as a descendent of a stalwart who was
in the forefront of the Sankar Sangha movement, Sanatram Bora, my
grandfather, I sincerely want the Sangha to realize its potential and
help develop a composite Assamese society bereft of the curse of caste and
creed,” Bora said.
Ganesh Nath of Aank-Bak, the publishers, also spoke.
(The Assam Tribune ,31.01.2012)