Dear Friends:

The Telegraph London has received more than fifty-eight comments under the
heading International Development. in the Letters to the Editor column. It is
interesting to know what we
British tax-payers think about it. I reproduce some of the letters below:

-bhuban

58 Comments

SIR – The practice of giving aid money to countries with vast standing armies
and nuclear and space programmes must cease.

India has shown that it can stand on its own two feet (“India tells Britain: We
don’t want your aid”, report, February 5). Any perceived latent imperial duty
to the jewel in the Victorian crown must now be relinquished.

Tony Levy
Wednesfield, Staffordshire

SIR – Pranab Mukherjee, the Indian finance minister, has said that the £1
billion given to India in aid over the last five years is “a peanut”. Could we
please have the money back, as it will buy a lot of peanuts in this country?

Ron Kirby
Dorchester

SIR – We are doubling aid to Pakistan, even though it would appear that the
Taliban is being materially assisted by Pakistani intelligence services. Now we
read that the Indian government has refused to be bullied by
embarrassment-averse Andrew Mitchell, the International Development Secretary,
into accepting £280 million annually from the British taxpayer.
As Britain teeters on the brink of bankruptcy, when the NHS is in crisis, 2.5
million people are without work and pensioners fear to turn on the heating,
ministers should be reminded that charity – especially when it is supported by
our overseas creditors – begins at home.
John Barker
Prestbury, Cheshire

SIR – By continuing to give aid to India, Britain is helping the Indian
government to evade its responsibilities to its citizens at the bottom of the
social pile.
Those who insist that we give aid would do better to campaign for the Indian
government to look after its deprived citizens.
James Dowd
Prestbury, Cheshire

SIR – The comments by Mr Mukherjee date back to 2010. Since then, our programme
has been refocused on three states where half of the children are malnourished.
Our help ensures that the Indian government’s work to help the poorest goes
further and faster. Manmohan Singh, the Indian prime minister, has made clear
that his government welcomes the expertise Britain brings.
The revamped programme is one part of a wider relationship between our two
countries which is in both our national interests. It would be wrong to cut the
programme when our help can still make such a big difference.
Stephen O’Brien MP (Con)
Department for International Development
London SW1

SIR – India has indicated that it will not buy its new generation of fighter
aircraft from us, even though David Cameron has repeatedly emphasised our
historical ties with the country.
France has, by comparison, given minimal sums in aid to India and has few
historical ties with it, but now appears to be the winner in the race to supply
new aircraft at a lower cost.
This should be a harsh lesson to our Government that you cannot conduct trade
relations using sentiment, but only by real influence and competiveness.
Hand-outs cut no ice when hard-headed business deals are being made with
emerging economic and military powers.
India holds the high cards and has made it clear that it will not be patronised
by its ex-colonial masters or bought off with aid which it says it no longer
needs.
Ted Shorter
Hildenborough, Kent

SIR – Is this a poor example of Britain trying to curry favour?
Austin Cannon
Litherland, Lancashire