Dear Dhiraj

It is a brilliant piece of military history of the North-East that you have
unearthed. I have heard the name of Major Kathing so many times but
did not know much about him. In this case possibly Jawaharlal Nehru was right
because of international law.Though the Governor of Assam enjoyed special
powers at the time, I am sure stealthily acquiring foreign or disputed land
would not be within the Governor's remit.

A friend of mine wrote a book about the Indo-Chiinese relations. He was
actually a close friend of my teacher in St Edmund's College, Shillong, and it
was through him that I became acquainted with him. Both of them are no longer
alive. Now in this book the author stated that the Chinese Govt never accepted
that the land in dispute belonged to India. My friend maintained that the
Government of India officials altered the maps. The Chinese government paid my
friend for a visit to China. Everybody expected my friend to be imprisoned but
he was not prosecuted.

I happened to be in Shillong while Jairamas Daulatram was Governor of Assam. I
had the good fortune of listening to a number of his public speeches.
Once he attended a Bihu function in Shillong. I stll remember vividly what he
said.

Thanks for the article. You always select the best, whether it be an article or
beautiful photograph.

-bhuban