Dear Friends:

The article below is from India Ink, NY Times, today (26.03.2012)

-bhuban

Mumbai Gets Its Own Walk of Fame

By NEHA THIRANI

Courtesy of UTV
An artist’s rendering of the soon to be launched  “UTV Stars’ Walk of the
Stars,” in Mumbai, Maharashtra.

If staring at Bollywood stars’ houses, waiting patiently for them to go grocery
shopping, or living vicariously through gossip columns is not enough for you,
there’s India’s brand-new, star-studded walk of fame.
Inspired by the Hollywood original, UTV Stars, a new Bollywood channel, is
introducing its own “Walk of the Stars.” Slated to open on Wednesday, the walk
spans a 2-kilometer, or 1.2-mile, stretch along the Bandra Bandstand Promenade
in Mumbai.
The sea-facing promenade will feature the handprints and signatures of
Bollywood stars embossed on brass plates on tiles along the path. Kareena
Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor, Ranbir Kapoor, Sharmila Tagore, Meena Kumari, Shammi
Kapoor, Shabana Azmi and Sridevi are among the stars featured.
The UTV television group, which calls its new UTV Stars channel “the official
channel of Bollywood,” has been working on the project for two years,
collecting all the necessary permissions and hand impressions. “We wanted to do
something as a tribute to the big stars of Bollywood who have contributed so
much,” said Nikhil Gandhi, the business head at UTV Stars. “It’s a one-of
its-kind attraction in India to bring fans a little closer to their favorite
movie stars.”
The new Walk of the Stars will also feature several statues of Bollywood
legends, including Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Dev Anand, Dilip Kumar, Rajesh
Khanna and Amitabh Bachchan. The statues are life-size brass representations of
each star, sitting on benches.

Courtesy of UTV
A mock-up of the “UTV Stars” bench in Mumbai, Maharashtra.

“You’ll have a whole horde of people who would like to sit on a bench beside
Raj Kapoor and get themselves photographed,” predicts Robin Nath, honorary
secretary and trustee at the Bandra Bandstand Residents Trust, which developed
and maintains the promenade. “You and me might not be infatuated by Bollywood
stars but the rest of the public hero-worships them. I’m sure it’ll be a great
hit.”
While unwilling to disclose the cost of the entire project, Mr. Gandhi said
each brass statue will cost 35 lakh, or 3.5 million rupees , the equivalent of
$68,000. There will be 6 to 8 such statues, and about 100 handprints.
Unlike the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which is administered by the Hollywood
Chamber of Commerce and maintained by the self-financing Hollywood Historic
Trust, this project will be promoted, funded and privately managed by UTV. “We
have the support of the entire industry,” said Mr. Gandhi. “Bollywood, per se,
is not a registered term, so there is not an administration we have to go
through,” he said.
The name “Walk of the Stars” is a nod to the multiplicity of movie stars
generated by the industry in recent years, Mr. Gandhi said. “Earlier it was one
superstar per decade,” he said. “Now we have 10 or 15 stars per era delivering
one super hit after the other.”
Mr. Gandhi said, “The project will not only be a monument to the industry but
add to the beautification of the Bandra Bandstand promenade. People will visit
especially to see it.”
Because the walk is being built in a public space, it required the permission
of multiple government departments, including a no-objection certificate from
the Maharashtra Maritime Board – a process that the company said was simple.
“The process of getting approvals from the government was quite easy because of
the credibility and value it adds to the promenade – it is a non-commercial
project, free of cost to access to the public,” said Mr. Gandhi.
“It’s a very nice thing for the Bandra area, where there are already so many
stars residing that people come from all over to stare at Salman Khan’s house
or Shah Rukh Khan’s bungalow,” said Mr. Nath. “It is about time that people
recognized the fame of these actors living in our neighbourhood and gave them
their due honor."