Dear Friends:

This news is from the Telegraph London this morning (27 03 2012)

-bhuban

His name is Vinod ... Agent Vinod. He can shoot two pistols simultaneously
while diving through the air, disarm nuclear weapons and drive sports cars at
terrifying speeds through narrow streets without breaking sweat.

But despite his many talents, India's answer to James Bond has been unable to
find his way into cinemas in neighbouring Pakistan.
The highly anticipated Bollywood blockbuster, Agent Vinod, named after the
film's central character, was scheduled to open last week in Lahore and
Karachi, but Pakistan's Film Censor Board, has banned the film for its negative
portrayal of the country's intelligence agency, the ISI.
"It was our judgment that it should not be allowed to be screened," the
vice-chairman of the board, Muhammad Ashraf Gondal, told the Associated Press.
"It falls under the negative codes of our censor."
The ban marks the latest cultural battle in a cold war between the two
nuclear-armed countries that has occasionally erupted into violence – animosity
is rarely far from the surface.
Pakistan and India were founded in 1947 after the break up of the British
empire. Since then, they have fought three major wars, two of them over the
disputed territory of Kashmir. The ISI is accused of sponsoring Islamist groups
who have carried out attacks against its neighbour, and many believe it still
maintains support for the Taliban in an effort to counter Indian influence.
It is against this backdrop of suspicion and covert war that the film is set.
Agent Vinod, a spy from India's Research and Analysis Wing, travels to Morocco,
Moscow and Afghanistan in an attempt to prevent the detonation of a nuclear
bomb in his country. The film shows Pakistani officials encouraging terror
attacks in India and financing Lashkar-e-Taiba, a militant group founded with
the ISI's support in the 1990s, which is focused on pressuring India to give up
Kashmir.
Despite the controversy about the film, the actor who plays Vinod rejected
claims that it gave an unfair portrayal. "If you feel this is unreasonable or
not true, then it is fair enough," Saif Ali Khan said in an interview with the
Indo-Asian News Service. "I think it is all quite true."
Khan, 41, who also co-produced the movie, added: "Agent Vinod is for Indians
but it is not against Pakistanis. But I understand if they get upset because we
are beating them up quite often in the film."
Agent Vinod is not the first Bollywood film to be prohibited in Pakistan. The
government banned all Indian movies in 1965 after a war between the countries.
It lifted the measure in 2008 but has continued to block certain films. It
banned an Indian comedy about Osama bin Laden in 2010, claiming it could spark
terror attacks.