Dear friends:

This news is from the New York Times (02 03 2012)

-bhuban

April 2, 2012, 8:14 AM

A Conversation With: Uddhav Thackeray
By VIKAS BAJAJ and NEHA THIRANI

Voters in Mumbai recently re-elected the Shiv Sena, and its partner the
Bharatiya Janata Party, to head the city government of Mumbai, India’s
financial capital. The Shiv Sena’s executive president, Uddhav Thackeray,
agreed to answer questions via e-mail recently. An edited and condensed version
of that interview follows:

Q.
Your party and the B.J.P. recently won the Mumbai civic polls in spite of a lot
of criticism from Congress and Prithviraj Chavan, the chief minister of
Maharashtra, about the decline of the city and their plans to revive it. Why do
you think you won and the Congress lost so badly?
A.
Yes, we have done it again. We worked hard for Mumbai. Our campaign, Karun
Dakhavla [Marathi for “We have done it”], became a tagline in Mumbai, much like
Obama’s “change,” but our campaign wasn’t only selling dreams, it portrayed the
work we did. It is often said that the best answer to election-time criticism
and barbs is victory, and I’m glad it was big! It isn’t our win simply, but a
big victory for pro-development, non-corrupt politics.
We showed that even genuine work and service to the citizens can earn you their
trust. The wide array of the services we provided, the work we did and the
progress of Mumbai, Mumbaikars gave us their love and support. I am ever
indebted to Mumbaikars, for they have given us a chance to serve them for the
fourth time in a row, no other cosmopolitan city would do that.
Q.
What are the signature achievements of your party in this city, which it has
governed for more than 15 years?
A.
First and foremost, a noncorrupt government, in a time when most governments in
India are facing severe criticism for corruption. Mumbai Municipal Corporation
is the richest body in India, true, but the services it provides are also
diverse, ranging from education to sanitation, health, infrastructure, civic
amenities, art and culture, transport, electricity, etc. With the constantly
increasing population and demand, the civic body has been able to keep its
water and transport rates to the lowest possible, when compared to other
cities. We serve the poorest and the richest, young and old, selflessly. Our
budget is in surplus, and of course we claim credit for keeping our city
healthy, wealthy and green. Signature achievements can be the gardens, museums,
water tunnels, and transport and electricity, however, all are of equal
importance to me.
Q.
What are the priorities for your new government? What issues do you want the
civic administration to focus on and address in the next five years?
A.
Fulfilling our promises. The Shiv Sena has a track record of fulfilling the
promises it makes during elections. Our new government will emphasize
education, health, roads and water supply. The virtual classroom scheme will
expand to all the BMC schools now, after being highly successful in the pilot
project. The Middle Vaitarna Dam, currently the ninth fastest in the world,
will be ready soon and we are the only municipal corporation in India to make a
dam for a city. A world-class zoo and an aquarium will be in the making soon.
More civic amenities will be coming into process in the other fields. Our main
aim is the citizens, the Mumbaikars, and we will focus on serving them better
than the best.
Q.
Congress, which has controlled the state with the Nationalist Congress Party
for about as long as you have controlled the city, has long played up the idea
that Mumbai is a city in decline and your party is largely to blame for this.
Do you agree that the city is in decline? If so, who is responsible for its
decline?
A.
I believe that the Mumbaikars have given the Congress-N.C.P. their answer. As I
said, our victory and work are the answers. The Congress-N.C.P. need to
introspect. The most corrupt ministers serve in their government and they have
taken the state to a rank that is deplorable. Maharashtra, when we ruled the
state, was at No. 1 rank of progress, as soon as we are back, we will take it
to the top.
Q.
Many in the business community say that they have an increasingly difficult
time doing business here given the city’s poor infrastructure and the rising
cost of real estate here. Some have relocated to Delhi or expanded more
aggressively in Gujarat, Delhi, Bangalore, Pune and Hyderabad. Do you think
these are serious issues for Mumbai? What is your party’s plan to address them?
A.
One can’t say that. I agree the center is taxing us heavily, we as Mumbai
contribute almost 40 percent of the national revenue to the country but get
peanuts in return. We have constantly made a demand of at least getting back 25
percent of it for development, but it falls on the deaf ears of the central
government. However, we have been successful, and all businessmen would agree,
in keeping our city taxes to the bare minimum and providing the best amenities
to the ever-growing city of Mumbai.
Q.
Analysts say the two biggest challenges facing Mumbai are the lack of
affordable housing and adequate public transportation infrastructure. What do
you think needs to be done to tackle these two big issues? What prevents
progress on these issues?
A.
Yes. You’re right about the housing. The state government has been constantly
bending to the pressure of the builders who use uncanny methods to bend rules
and make housing schemes out of the blue, buying land and permissions at cheap
rates from the state government. However, they make the housing so costly that
no common man can buy. The Congress-N.C.P. culture has fostered this new social
problem.
In our government, we had begun various housing schemes, for all the classes in
the city, right from slums to the rich, and especially for the mill workers,
however, after the Congress-N.C.P. took over, the situation has worsened every
year in their rule.
About public transportation, Mumbai is one of the best cities for it, wherein
you would get transportation at any given time in the day or night. Somewhat
like New York. We as the BMC also run the BEST Buses, and they run efficiently
at affordable rates.
Q.
Many analysts say the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena, started by your cousin Raj
Thackeray, is the rising party to watch in the city and state, given its strong
showing in the recent election. Why do you think it did well? What role do you
think it will play in the city and state going forward, especially as the
elections in 2014 approach?
A.
I don’t give much importance to M.N.S., neither do the people. I am happy that
the analysts are at least busy doing something, but I only hope they did it
right. What matters at the end of the day is the work one does, not what
analysts say, and that’s what exactly happened in the 2012 BMC elections.
Q.
A recent book about a slum near the international airport in Mumbai, “Behind
the Beautiful Forevers” by Katherine Boo, paints a very grim picture of the
lives of the poor in the city and their abuse at the hands of corrupt
politicians, policemen and others. Have you read the book? What do you think of
it?
A.
Haven’t heard of this book, and such books are many for each and every city,
however there are better books that paint a little more reality than such books
about the service provided by the governmental organizations to each and every
person in the city. Governments don’t go by such irrelevant books, they go by
hard work and service.