Dear Mr Roychoudhury

It also looks to me like a ploy preparatory to the next rounds of general
elections. Well, Ms Mamata Banerjee is an astute politician

Yes, as Indians we know very well the history of our languages in India. We
guard our language like a worker bee guarding its hive from predators.
It is an integral part of our culture.

Urdu is already one of the Constitutional languages of India; it is rich in
history and culture; it is modern and is spoken by a great many people of India
spread over the entire subcontinent. The knowledge of another language is an
additional qualification and anybody can make a living out of it.One can even
aspire to become a Professor of the subject.

Very recently I posted a few emails: one of that mail was headed Are bilinguals
cleverer than the monolinguals? Another email dealt with
the trilinguals (the wording of the subject headings may be a little different
from mine in those mails.

A friend of mine here, an Assamese lady, works as interpreter in  the Sylheti
language. Funnily enough Sylheti is sort of officially recognised
language in the United Kingdom. Non-Sylheti speaking Bengalese are debarred
from certain Community-related positions under the Boroughs.

During my perambulations in Delhi, some forty years ago, I found that official
records in a Police station were kept in Urdu. It was usual to find
a free  Urdu newspaper in the small restaurants for the customers to read.
Once I met an Editor of a Hindi fortnightly journal who was not able to
read or write Hindi. The Bengalese living in a number of cities in Uttar
Pradesh, do not know Bengali well.

Whether we like it or not, we in India live in a multilingual, multicultural
society. I would not like to predict the political future of the North-East
India
right now.

-bhuban