Dear Friends:

A nice story of Jewish migration from today's NY Times (03 04 2012).I hope the
Jews from Mizoram too settled peacefully in Israel by this time.
Any information?

-bhuban

April 3, 2012, 8:03 AM
A Childhood Passage to Israel for Baghdadi Jews of India
By DEBRA KAMIN

Shaul Sapir
Shaul Sapir with his sister Rachel Sapir in Bombay, 1953.

Shaul Sapir, a professor of historical geography at Jerusalem’s Hebrew
University, knows a thing or two about his field.
At age 8, seeking out a Hebrew chewing gum he had seen in an advertisement, Mr.
Sapir went to his father and insisted he be allowed to move to Israel. Despite
the fact that the Sapir family was living a comfortable life in Mumbai, his
parents, Mumbai-born descendants of Jews who had migrated from Baghdad several
generations earlier, agreed.
India was newly independent, and the Sapirs, like many within the Jewish
community of the city, formerly known as Bombay, were concerned that a
post-British India might become an unwelcome place for Jews. So Mr. Sapir and
his older sister, at the boy’s bidding, were sent to live with an aunt. “They
were used to it,” Mr. Sapir says of his request to make “aliyah,” the term Jews
use for immigrating to Israel. “They had sent me to a boarding school, so what
was it to send me to Israel?”

Debra Kamin
Shaul Sapir, professor at Hebrew University in Jerusalem, Israel.

Mr. Sapir’s childhood passage to Israel was part of a flood of immigration by
Baghdadi Jews – Indian Jews who, like his family, had moved to the subcontinent
from Syria, Iraq and other Arab countries, as well as Iran, in late 1800s – to
the newly minted Jewish state in the 1950s and 1960s. Mr. Sapir and his sister,
under the watchful eye of their aunt, learned Hebrew, enrolled in Israeli
schools and grew up as Israelis. His sister now lives in the southern city of
Eilat while Mr. Sapir, after a stint as a paratrooper in the Israeli Army and
many years of academic work, happily instructs his students on the movement of
peoples across time and space.
The elder Sapirs joined their children seven years later. They, too, were far
from alone. At their height, the Baghdadi Jews of India, who had flourished
dually in Kolkata and Mumbai, numbered close to 7,000. Three large synagogues
still stand in Kolkata, previously referred to as Calcutta. Yet there are
hardly enough Jews to form a 10-person “minyan,” the minimum number of
worshippers Jewish law requires for certain ceremonies.
“Once upon a time there used to be a rich community in Calcutta,” says Isaac
Ashkenazy, the director of public relations for the Indian Jewish Heritage
Center in Israel and himself a Kolkata-born Baghdadi Jew. Mr. Ashkenazy came to
Israel considerably late – in the 1970s, at age 22 – and believes his
community’s migration was based more on fear than fact. “I think it was more
paranoia than anything else. Because the Indian community in general is a very
tolerant civilization,” he says.
Economic factors also played a role. Many Baghdadi Jews had flourishing
businesses in colonial India, and with the departure of the British came the
rise of communism. The Baghdadi Jews of India, whose grandparents and
great-grandparents came to the country as traders and passed significant
empires of wealth and enterprise onto their grandchildren, were now looking for
new opportunities.
To Mr. Ashkenazy, the trajectory of India’s Baghdadi Jews is a story as old as
Judaism itself. “Jewish people, all our culture, our religion is very tribal.
It’s very hierarchical. It comes from father to son, and that’s why my
fatherhood is India, and my motherhood is Israel,” he says.
Debra Kamin is a journalist living in Tel Aviv. She is the Tel Aviv stringer
for Variety and a freelancer for The New York Times and a few other
publications. You can read more of her work at www.debrakamin.com , or follow
her on Twitter @debra_kamin.