Ishu only non-European script at Cinekid
Spl CORRESPONDENT
 NEW
 DELHI, Oct 22 – In what could be described as a highly encouraging
piece of news for Indian children’s cinema, a script that takes a look
at the issue of witch-hunting as seen by a small Assamese kid, has found
 itself to be the only non-European project chosen for the co-production
 market of Cinekid, the world’s largest film, TV and cross-media festival for
children.Adapted
 from acclaimed Assamese writer Manikuntala Bhattacharjya’s children’s
novel Ishu by National Award-winning film critic Utpal Borpujari, the
script, also titled Ishu, is among the 15 film projects chosen to be presented
before a high-profile panel of co-producers, distributors and sales agents
 who will descend from all over the world at Cinekid Junior
Co-Production Market for four days from October 23 to 26, the final two
days of the Cinekid Festival which started on October 17.The
selection of Ishu, which thus becomes the only representative of all the
 continents outside Europe at the event, was done by Cinekid for
Professionals (CfP), which also chose 15 TV and 10 cross-media projects –
 again all from only Europe - for children for the co-production market.“The
 Junior Co-production market is an integrated co-production market that
will enable financiers, broadcasters and professionals to assess new and
 innovative projects across the cross-media, film and television sectors,” an
official statement of CfP said announcing the selection.“The number of project
entries more than doubled compared to previous years, enabling a very high
quality
 of projects selected that will hopefully lead to many new, fresh and
attractive children productions in the upcoming years,” it said.“I
 think the selection is great news not only for children’s cinema of
India as a whole but also for Assamese and North-East Indian cinema,
where only a few children’s films have been made over the years. If
everything goes well, and the funds are in place, I plan to shoot the film in
the near future,” says Delhi-based Borpujari.“At the same time, I am aware that
securing funds
 to make an Assamese film is not that easy, so I am keeping my fingers
crossed,” he says. The film’s script is under consideration of the
Children’s Film Society, India, (CFSI). “I am awaiting their decision,
depending on which I will decide if I have to look for financing of the
film in Assam,” he adds.The
 story of Ishu is set in the Rabha community, and Delhi-based Borpujari
intends to shoot this Assamese film in Rabha villages near Goalpara. “I
have already visited a few Rabha villages near Agia, and I am in touch
with noted theatre director Sukracharya Rabha from whose Badungduppa
Natya Kendra I plan to source quite a few of the film’s actors so that I
 remain true to the backdrop of the film, particularly as Rabha’s
theatre group comprises mostly Rabha villagers whom he has trained in
various facets of theatre,” he says.As and when the funding is secured,
Borpujari intends to finalise his cast through auditions.
 “While my first priority will be the actors from Badungduppa, I am open
 to looking for other good actors who would fit into the milieu of the
story. As my protagonist will be a seven-year-old kid, I think that will
 be the most crucial and difficult part in the casting,” he says, adding
 that he will hold a workshop for the actors before shooting the film.With
 the theme having its backdrop in witch-hunting, Borpujari plans to
dedicate the film to Birobala Rabha, the crusader against the social
scourge. “I have not met her and I also do not know if Manikuntala
Bhattacharjya had her in mind while writing the novel, but I am inspired
 by her life story. Hence, I plan to dedicate the film to her,” he says.The
 film’s production work will be handled by Eleeanora Images, a company
led by director Nila Madhab Panda of I Am Kalam and Jalpari fame.Over the past
quarter century, Cinekid has grown into the world’s largest multimedia festival
 for children, covering the entire spectrum of audiovisual product
designed and produced for young audiences. Cinekid for Professionals is
renowned for its meetings, its marketplace for international media
professionals and its focus on highest quality media productions.More
 than 350 international professionals will visit the CfP event and over
100 financiers, potential co-producers and commissioning editors will
attend the Junior Co-production Market.
(The Assam Tribune,23.10.2012)