Dear all,

At present two "hot topics" are drawing attention in the national
newspapers:

1.      Compulsory teaching of Sanskrit

2.      Myths made reality, claims made for ancient India's achievements

I came across the following articles and would like to share with you.
Some of you might be interested in the same.

.         Centre confirms in Supreme Court affidavit: For KV, Sanskrit
compulsory third language
http://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/sanskrit-to-be-3rd-langu
age-in-classes-6-8-in-kvs-centre-tells-sc

Language of the gods needs revival but not by compulsory teaching of
Sanskrit
http://tinyurl.com/ngrkgs4

"Anxiety over Sanskrit's slow death as a living language, which lies at the
heart of the current language dispute over German, predates the cultural
nationalism of BJP and RSS. As far back as 1857 Gujarati poet Dalpatram
announced that the language of the gods had died. Bajirao II, the last
Peshwa, had "performed its after-death rite with great pomp" and the best of
kings observed "its yearly memorial", he lamented.

It was this sense of loss that led to Sanskrit being introduced into the
Constitution's Eighth Schedule as a national language in 1949. But so poor
was its health at Independence that the first five Sahitya Akademi Awards in
Sanskrit literature (1956-1966) were given to English and Hindi works on
Sanskrit culture. Official patronage meant that Sanskrit survived only on
"government feeding tubes and oxygen tanks", as scholar Sheldon Pollock
memorably argued".

.         Myths made reality, bizarre claims made for ancient India's
achievements

http://tinyurl.com/l4ouq8l

Tampering with scientific temper
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/lead/tampering-with-scientific-temper/articl
e6673585.ece?homepage=true

Swami Vivekananda had said and I quote: "Astrology and all these mystical
things are generally signs of a weak mind; therefore as soon as they are
becoming prominent in our minds, we should see a physician, take good food,
and rest."

Check also the lecture MAN THE MAKER OF HIS DESTINY by Swami Vivekananda
http://www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/vivekananda/volume_8/notes_of_class_t
alks_and_lectures/man_the_maker.htm

An Indian Test of Indian Astrology   (this linked is referred in the article
Tampering with scientific temper mentioned above.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/an_indian_test_of_indian_astrology/

Regards,

Wahid