Well, not quite. This formulation does not have a
basis since the chief protagonists involved in the
Indian independence fight - primarily the Congress in
India (and perhaps the Muslim League for Muslims of
the East and West) was able to coalesce Indians across
geographies, bring forth a common set of interests
that were best served by throwing out the British and
was able to throw them out. There was one or 2 main
players for most sections of people.
Here we have a 1000 players for the thousand
communities that have geographical and other interests
that are in conflict with each other. Oh yes, I also
forgot these players, except a few, do not quite have
the capability (or did not or likely not to in the
near future) to carry their masses (and not the others
cohabiting the region with them in a fight to win
against the center. Unlike the protagonists in the
case of Indian indepedence.

The analogy (or formulation), unfortunately, does not
quite hold water.